Thread: Replacement Keys?

Replacement Keys?

Anyone know if it's possible to get replacement keys cut for the trunk latch and the locking hood latches? I'm down to a single key for each, and would like to have spares. Hate to spend the $$ for new hardware when all I need are a couple of keys.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

There ought to be someone out there that can cut them for you, Gary. I'd try the local non-chain hardware and parts houses first; the keys look like a locker, light equipment, padlock, etc. blank of some sort might work. Next bet would be a locksmith; of course, if you got into a lot of time, ordering blanks, etc. it might be cheaper to replace the hardware. Rates around here are very reasonable, though.

Zach Butterworth
    Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
    (Mom & Dad's 427)

Been down the same road Gary. It's an English blank, and I haven't been able to find it either. No locksmith or key shop has been able to match it. The markings on mine are too beaten up to decipher.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

My trunk key is a WBH FS937 made in England if it's any help.
    Lonnie

Hmmm. [?] Since my trunk and hood key is the same, I'm assuming someone cuts common keys. I've got the numbers, but like Clay I just haven't been able to find anyone with the blanks. Maybe when the boys from Gadsden get back from vacation they'll have an idea.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Try Moss Motors in California...Big supplier of UK sports car parts.
    2 months ago they had all types of UK key blanks in their flyer.
    The keys I have for my Cobra ( vintage 1992 ) are very close to
    those for my 1968 MGB.
    Good luck.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Well, just for kicks I Googled Cobra hood latches and came up with this UK link - this may be the source for this stuff.

http://www.cobraspares.com/brightworks.htm

I notice they sell hood and trunk latch sets - same key, and can cut an ignition key to match. I'm sending them an email to see if they can cut blanks if I have the numbers. I'll let you know what I hear.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

I had keys cut at the Home Depot. I was a bit surprised to see they had the blanks, but they did. The square one for the hood and trunk latches and the round one for the ignition.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Thanks, Tony. I'll give 'em a try this weekend. Certainly easier than dealing with folks across the pond, although I'd kind like to chat with good people in - sniff, Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Pretty much anything that you can fit in the ignition will start the car. They aren't picky on which key to use.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Are the hood locks something new?
    Lonnie

quote:Originally posted by gasman

Pretty much anything that you can fit in the ignition will start the car. They aren't picky on which key to use.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389
    We're not talking about ignition keys, those are easy, and yes, Home Depot does have those.

Tony, I also tried Home Depot for the blank for hood and trunk locks. They said they couldn't do it, and a locksmith said the same thing. Do you have a blank number from your Home Depot?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I struck out at Home Depot as well. Found an ignition key, but no luck with the hood/trunk blank. No word yet from the folks at Burton Upon Trent. Tony, the blank # for the hood/trunk key would be helpful.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

I will look at my spare key for the hood. The had both, no problem. I swear!

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Keys

Hey all!
    Need a couple extra keys. Did you ever figure out where to get them? thanks Peter

Go to your local lock and key shop and tell them they are British keys, they can order blanks if they don't stock them.

Alan

Keys from Locksmith - NO PROBLEM

Ditto what Alan said. I went to my local locksmith, they ordered the blanks, both ignition and truck and cut duplicates. I have the manufacturer and blanks # at home if your people cannot find the correct blanks. Not expensive either. I got three sets after my last "happening" from last homecoming.

The trunk/bonnet latch keys are similar to another key blank that is a little longer. A good locksmith can match and cut the key, then cut the excessive length down for a perfect match. I had this done by the local locksmith in Gadsden. No problem. I carry multiple spares for the Alabama trip "just in case." See you all in Gadsden soon.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

thanks!

thanks all! I am going to multiple spares too! Hope for good weather for the open house.
    Peter