Thread: Water Temp

Water Temp

I just added an flat aluminum panel to the top of my oil cooler to give the car (427sc Body)it a more finished look. It's mounted on the top of the cooler and extends back an inch or so from the radiator, giving an appearance similar to Finishline's oil cooler shroud. I also mounted a bug screen to the front of my radiator. The screen is the same pattern as Unique's brake duct and oil cooler screeens, thus giving a consistent look and it appears to give adequate airflow. Now, my water temp (351w) has increased from 185-190 range to 220-225 range. I don't understande because most cars I saw at Open House had larger shrould panels than mine, but few if any bug screens. Is my bug screen restricting too much airflow?

I believe it is the screen. The oil cooler shroud should not change the air flow much. If you calculate how much surface area your screen has I think you will be surprised how restrictive it is not to mention the added turbulance may distrub the fan air flow as well.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

I think it's probably your screen too. Depending upon the size of the grate, you maybe restricting up to 50% of the airflow over the rad.

As an example, I installed a set of driving lights in the mouth (no grill). At normal cruise speeds without fans, there is no difference in operating temp than before. At lower speeds, I rarely ran the fans without the lights except at stoplights. Now, with the lights, I have to turn the fans on at lower speeds too. And that's with perhaps a 20-25% reduction in airflow caused by the lights.

It's no issue for me as long as the fans are running I still read a constant 190. In your case, the reduction in airflow may be much greater. It should be fairly easy for you to calculate if you measure and count the grate openings.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Mot likely the screen - not the shroud.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks for the input. I was afraid it was the screen.
    walter

I would agree that it is the screen in this case. However, an improperly installed oil cooler shroud can cause some real over heat problems.
    The oil cooler shroud must be installed so that it directs the air going thru the oil cooler down below the radiator. The air from the oil cooler should not be allowed to go thru the tubes/fins of the radiator. On a hot day at the track the oil temp could reach 260+ degrees. If this "hot oil cooler air" is allowed to flow thru the radiator it will cause a local "hot spot" and cause the coolant to boil in that area of the radiator and steam will be generated that will cause some real cooling problems.
    Keith

An update. When installing the aluminum panel over the oil cooler and the bug shield, I also had my surge tank removed to repair a leak. The last thing I did after the work completed and before driving the car home Fri nite (when I noticed the 225 degree temp) was fill the surge tank with water. Later Fri nite after posting my first message on this topic, I checked the water level in the surge tank and noticed it a bit low. It took a pint of water. I didn't think that small amount of water would make that much difference, but I drove the car Saturday and found water temp dropped to 195 degrees. Perhaps there was a bubble in radiator since I filled tank Fri afternoon while engine was off. Notice, I only have water in my radiator. Once I'm convinced surge tank leak is fixed, I'll replace water with coolant. That should bring temp down a bit. Keith, your comment about air passing though oil cooler into radiaitor makes a lot on sense. Since my oil cooler is mounted directly in front of the lower 1/3 of my radiator, I wonder if I should made some sort of air deflector behind the oil cooler to deflect the hot air below the radiator. That would also allow cool air from the top of oil cooler panel to flow into lower section of radiator. Does anyone know if the FinishLine shroud incorporates any sort of deflector on the backside of oil cooler?

Walter

Walter,
    I would take special care not to cover any of the tube/fin portion of the radiator.
    The hot air from the oil cooler needs to be deflected under the radiator for two reasons, first to not heat the coolant going thru the radiator and second to get the hot air into the low pressure area under the car where the lower pressure will help "pull" air thru the oil cooler.
    One thing I have noticed on several Cobra cars is the oversize oil cooler. Any part of the oil cooler that is larger than the air opening for the oil cooler is probably not contributing much toward cooling the oil. I believe I used a 13 row cooler then formed the shroud so it bent down below the bottom row of tubes at the bottom of the radiator. This way none of the radiator surface was obstructed. These cars, especially the big blocks, need all the air thru the radiator they can get.
    Keith

On a big block add two bottles of Redline Water Wetter to the coolant, amazing stuff. Lowers the water temperature. I am now a firm beliver in distilled water, the (yellow container) (Prestone) and Water Wetter. Iam using a 40% Prestone to 60% distilled water mix. Just pulled my intake after 1 year 2,800 miles with the distilled water and the coolant looked great. All hoses and connections were in great shape. Much better than using tap water and coolant[^].

Rick

Just want to be sure that it is Distilled water and not De-ionized water. Some of the companies use the deionization process since it's less expensive for them.
    Deionized water will be corrosive on any metals other than stainless

Paul

Anyone ever use coolant called "40 Below"? I've been told, it works well to reduce temp.