Thread: Pulley set

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Pulley set

OK engine heads, which pulley set for a small block: the one that runs the waterpump faster or the standard version? I have the Edelbrock 8843 waterpump for the old-style 351W set up.

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Paul,
    We have the Edelbrock water pump as well, and the important consideration here is that this product is a high volume pump. By getting a pulley that drives it faster, you would be putting even more through the system. I went with the standard pulleys under the premise that there was not a need to overdrive an already high capacity pump...And it conserves horsepower.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Your pulley choice is actually standard or under-drive which turns the water pump slower. The slower rotation uses less HP but at the expense of cooling. I'm partial to the March pulleys.

--Patrick

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Patrick,

I like the March stuff as well. I was at their website, and that is where I got the two versions I posed the question on. They have the performance ratio and the high water flow ratio. Yet, this does not address a standard ratio (I assumed the performance ratio is standard). How does this relate to what you are saying?

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

All,
    According to the March tech that I spoke with when buying pulleys, they are actually slightly underdriven (performance series) or overdriven (high water flow series) on the water pump. We went with March performance ratio and the HP water pump.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car