Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: juanone 289 carbuild 14

Juan,
    I remember you telling me that the color of your car is a GM paint code. Was it a color available from Cadillac? The reason I ask is that a frien just purchased one and after seeing the picture the paint color looks very close to the pictures you have posted.

Justin

Tony / Justin:

That car you posted I believe it is the one on Ebay. Yes, the color of my car is a GM color. 2003 Toreador Red. It was Used on the Saturn that year but it may well be the same color on other GM products like Cadillac.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Juan,

I had the opportunity to get real friendly with your little car down at Unique yesterday !! It is coming along nicely. Course Alan and the crew had the body in a separate room while they were getting the chassis ready for the wedding... you know it is bad luck for them to see each other all dressed up before the big day [8D].

To me, the color of the car seems slightly darker than in the photos you posted in the other threads. Lots of metal flake in it... sparkly [8D]!

Hang in there, it is lookin' good... won't be long now !

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Paul:

I am glad you told me that you saw my car. I envy you man. I wish it was me. How does it look? Alan told me they were trying to get the body on the chassis today Friday. Who knows the wedding may have already happened.

Next photos will probably be of the entire car, oh man I can't wait.

Paul thanks for letting me know you saw the car. You made my day.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Juan,

Truthfully, I was in a rush to get to several other stops, including Dutton Performance to drop off my engine project with Dan. So, I did not get a chance to really give it a thorough going over.

From what I saw, the chassis was coming together very well. Poorboy was working on getting the suspension all set up. Like I said before, it is almost a shame to cover up the chassis.

The body seems very smooth, and as I mentioned the paint has quite a lot of metal flake in it... it seems like it is kind of an almost gold color flake. (Seeing as you picked out the color, I am not telling you anything that you do not already know.) Yet, the color seems darker in person than in the photos... at least to me anyway.

Also, I was surprised at how lightweight the grill is! I do not think it will block much air flow either.

The overall look will hide the potency of this ride. Should be a real sleeper for those fast getaways and stoplight starts [8D][}]!!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Thank you Paul. I owe you a ride in it someday.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Juan,

I like it. I'll be interested in hearing your experience with the mufflers, pipe routing, and whether there will be any clearance issues, or banging against various suspension and frame pieces. However, it looks good from what I can see. I like the fact that you are remaining true to the 289 "touring car" concept.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Jim Harding's 1984 Unique 289

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

you might want to get an idea of exhaust gas temps before you choose your ceramic coating i had had to have my headers recoated in high heat black the chrome looking coating did not have high enough rating (up to to 1200) and they peeled. i have a 351w with exhaust temp around 1200 degrees but up to 1300 at higher rpm's

Hi Clay:

Thanks for posting Jim Harding's photos, what a clean car. I contemplated doing a Superformance 427 SC Street car but the Unique 289 won out. I have loved the 289 Unique look from the first Shades of the Past I went to in 2004.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Juan, I think he has more than 40K miles on that car, and it qualifies as a legitimate "historic vehicle" in the State of MD. The car and body are more than 20 years old, and it looks virtually flawless upclose and personal, with no visual defects. He even has the original red leather installed by the Weavers in 84. It's one of my favorite Cobra replicas.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay:

Jim Harding's 427 is a great portfolio piece for the Weavers. I am quite sure, though , that Jim Has taken very good care of the car over the 20 years so it is also a great tribute to his love for the car.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Actually, Jim is the second or third or 4th owner, and he knows very little about the history of the car before he bought it. He's had it at least 5 years, maybe more.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Thanks Juan, I will definitely take you up on that offer !! Lookin' good!!

Speaking of Jim Harding; I went to high school with a Jim Harding. Last time I saw him, he was in med-school, so I think he is a physician now... that you Jim?

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

No, this Jim Harding is an electronics wizard.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

i thought i posted a message earlier but i dont see it, just a thought with the ceramic headers, my 351 w exhaust temps run 1200 to 1300 degrees, the chrome like ceramic coating is only good to 1200degrees headers peeled. had to redo with high heat black ceramic

oops, found it, didnt notice you had three pages worth of posts

Scott,

What are you using to determine exhaust temperature??????????

Rick