Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No explanation necessary

Okay boys, as they say in the Navy, simmer down. If I had known that me posting the image from the carrier was going to cause such a negative stir I would never had done it. My main intention was to share an image I thought interesting and thought provoking, but not controversy.

Let us leave things as they are, in the past. Frankly I was a flight engineer in the Navy for 9 years and three of those years were spent on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific and I have to tell you we had instances of A-4s, A-7s and even F4s that made similar passes off the carrier and I can believe that the image portrayed can be a possibility.

On thing that I did however was to study the image deep pixel make-up and I have to tell you that the pixel pattern of the image is consistent throughout . If it is a hoax someone went through an incredible amount of trouble to fool somebody like me, and photo manipulation is what I do for a living.

Oh well it is a nice image for us to share. Please enjoy each others contributions and don't forget the purpose of this forum.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Like I said earlier, I'm staying on the fence. Anyone want to join me???

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Good observations Juan. But, why can't a discussion be a spirited discussion of views without people veiwing it as a fight? I have never understood that. A lot of good points have been raised by many here, and that's why it's fun.

Various people with legitimate aviation credentials have weighed in, and, of course, all of those views must be respected. Yet, as I've said, there still some doubt.

It really doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. It's the discussion that is fun (at least to me). Since the two who made the bet, seemed to be getting irritated with each other, that's why several tried to turn it into a friendly (AND FUNNY) car challenge.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

(originally posted by clay)
    For me, it's the claim that the guy got only 30 days or 1 week off that makes it really unbelievable. I've been in aviation safety since 1979, and ran flight ops for the 4th largest airline in the world during the 90's. I've worked extensively in both military and civilian flight safety and participated in many accident investigations. And, I gotta tell you the skipper of the Stennis would have or should have had him in the brig.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD
    [/quote]

thats exactly what makes me think its a fake. i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian.

Neat site about the ship:

http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

"i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian."

There have been a lot of other crazy things done that were only laughed at.

I have a friend that used to fly a U2 then the SR71 and you wouldn't believe the things what he got away with.

(by the way, make the race to the top of the mountain and I might enter my new silver toy & give those big motors something to chase)

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
    Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

quote:Originally posted by JerryBP

"i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian."

There have been a lot of other crazy things done that were only laughed at.

I have a friend that used to fly a U2 then the SR71 and you wouldn't believe the things what he got away with.

(by the way, make the race to the top of the mountain and I might enter my new silver toy & give those big motors something to chase)

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
    Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio
    Oh yeah Jerry, this kind of stuff happens all the time......a lot of testosterone, and a $100 million or so airplane at your disposal. I had a pile of military accident reports dumped on my desk at FAA, and some of them would both send chills up your spine, and might even PO you a bit since you paid for those airplanes. But generally, these stunts don't generally don't happen with one's CO in the observation tower as an eyewitness.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Juan,
    For the record, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and am glad you started it. Perhaps it's the competitor in me, but I'm all for a good argument. A vigorously defended point is a beautiful thing, so long as we're all friends when it's over.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Clay, Please don't add fuel to this fire. I am not upset with anyone and I haven't been all along. If Rick is angry that I disagree with the validity of this as a real photograph, he will surely get over it in time. The car challange is likely to explode into something even uglier than the debate on the picture. If I'm going to race anyone, it will not be in a Cobra, that is for sure. Now, If you guys want to meet at Lowes Notor Speedway and sign up for a Richard Petty driving experience. We can see who has the fastest lap time. The last time I did this there were 37 drivers. Hope I don't come accross as bragging, but I'm proud to say I had the fastest lap time of the 37. I also had the fastest track and lap time at the BMW driving school. So, I'm not a complete novice.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

quote:Originally posted by Brent

Neat site about the ship:

http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54
    Brent, That picture is a fake, I've never seen a flag that big!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Huh?..........we're having a fun discussion. Are you the new Moderator?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mach 2 to 180 MPH, WOW![8D]

Rick

Time for a new Photoshop debate.

Let's hear from all the experts in THIS field...

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

I would say she is on the radio, the headphones and microphone gave it away. So what is your point?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Any "vector lift" involved in the last picture? It's got to be TV why waste them on the radio - possibly Stern's high quality program.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

I would love to play motorboat with her.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Rick, Can't take credit for this, pulled it off another website but I can warn you to stay away from this bad dog!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

It is true for Cobras and the picture above...Real isn't always better.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

As per Gasman's post, maybe it would be fun to go to one of the Richard Petty schools on the Thursday before homecomming next year. And, just to make it interesting we should each pich in to a best lap time take all pot, say $50 a driver.

Justin

LOL Gasman.........I like this one better. You can tell from the the blending of the pixels this must be real.

Clay

Annapolis, MD