Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No explanation necessary

No explanation necessary

Just thought you guys might enjoy this photo sent to me by Rick Bagley.

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Makes you wonder why so many militaty pilots die in "Training Accidents".

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
    Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

I think it's cool.......these guy's are the best of the best.
    I was fortunate to be around some of the Marine F-18 Hornet guys at LaMoore in CA. Yes, they are a little Cocky but they take their skills very seriously and you feel good knowing they are on our side[^].

These are our Cobra owners of the Future.

Rick

Adobe Photoshop is a great program....

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Sorry Gasman, but this is the real deal.......steak dinner??

Rick

yep,this is wthe real deal, seen this picture several times from fellas in service, Brent you were saying the driver of the little car had a set of cahoonas in thee video, and these fellas are highstrung and cocky, I always wanted to jocky this bird, f-18, 16, 15, 14, pull throttle down and bendit over.Will-alabama

Sure Rick, I'll take that bet.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

An airplane in a 90 degree bank, has no lift what so ever. At that altitude the pilot would need full after burners engaged, the sink rate would still be pretty high. If the after burners were engaged, this thing would look like a blast furnace going by. Another problem with the photo, the plane also is a little large for the surroundings. Not quite to scale. But is is a nice piece of work.

I'm as skeptical as they come, but this one has some validity to it that only a pilot would truly understand... The detail of the picture suggests water on the lenscap of the camera, which would suggest high humidity and explain the pressure vortices just aft of the intakes. The angle of attack appears correct for this maneuver as does the scale of the pilots to the people on deck. If the pilot just rolled it up on edge for the photo the speed wouldn't need to be as great. I think I'm in the camp of "it's real".

Although if it's photoshop, it's a hell of a job. And remember, real isn't always better.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

I'm doubting the authenticity too. Not only would those bodies on deck be flat on the deck, the crew would have gotten much more than 30 days off. Court-martial and dishonorable discharge would have been more likely. If real and at that speed, that close to the deck, they endangered the entire ship.

Cool picture though!!!!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

The water vaporizing off the leading edge of the left wing canard, suggests a high-speed, high-G maneuver. It is close to the right scale.....if you look at the bodies standing on deck and the heads of crew. The F-14 Tomcat is a very large airplane.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

My vote is fake. Urban Legends tends to make me disbelieve anything that looks too good and hasn't been in any newspaper. Perfectly framed plane - spectators that aren't afraid of their lives....

Here is another one that made the email, urban legend path....

We can settle this one pretty easily. My next door neighbor is in the reserves and returning from Annapolis tonight. He spent the last 13 years flying this very airplane off every carrier deck in the fleet and bombed most of Iraq in D.S. If he says the picture is real, I owe Rick a steak dinner and he would definately know.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Well they are obviously all taking a look at something! And what else would the camera man be taking a picture of at that angle? Of course I've been to a couple of Blue Angel shows and I can't imagine being able to get that clean of a shot of the plane going by from that close a proximity.

I'm on the fence (its safer here) :-).

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Perhaps a fly-by at a proper distance (covered up by the Photoshop paste)?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Rick--I have met in executive session with my dog, Professor Vernon Von Studebaker, in service to the gobernment, and the conclusion is -if you look close behind the second helmet to the lower side of the canopy it is plainly written Chevrolet, body by fisher,the professor was incognito at the time puffing a havana stogy wearing a sombrero.Will-alabama

Rick, Just got off the phone with my neighbor who immediately stated "Oh, this forgery is going around again? I've seen this picture a hundred times. The Tomcat isn't this large, the proportions are way off. The carrier deck is 60 feet off the water plus, even if it were real, the after burners would be visable beyond the photo borders." This is the quote from a Major still qualified to fly these birds and on his way to serve our country in the reserves this weekend. If anyone would know, it would be him.

I can almost taste that ribeye!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Looks like I'll be chipping in!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Not so fast my friend, I have asked my nephew for his opinion, he is a ex- F-18 guy who is a Captain with Jet Blue. Also he has a friend who was on this carrier at the time of the photo, F-14 pilot. So we will see.

Rick

I shall withhold further comment at this point, as it will not be necessary for further executive sessions with the professor Vernon Von Studebaker , about this aeroplane.However, i smell steak, one way or the other, applehouse-pigeon forge .Will-alabama

The best way to settle this is in the cars.

Blue 427 S/O
    Red 427 S/O

Pigeon Forge, side by side, first one out of the tunnel eats for free.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54