Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No explanation necessary

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rick

Now we're talkin'. Who cares about the damned picture? And, if it's real, they didn't trash the Stennis anyway, so all's well

Maybe we could turn this into an episode of "Pinks."

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

Red and Blue makes Purple.....not Pinks.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

NOW this is getting interesting

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Pinks, a new series on the Speed Channel. Lose the race, lose your car (pink slip). (wasn't sure if they had Cable TV in rural Kentucky and rural Georgia yet).

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

We have cable in Georgia, How bout you Ricky, you got it up in the foot hills? I know how it pains you to lose, but don't you go weaseling out on the bet for a steak dinner. I want to hear from the person who took this picture in the first place.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

You guys remember Rodney King's famous words?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Yep, I do. Why can't we just all admit Gasman was right.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Gasman, let the record show, I was the first to support your doubts about the picture's authenticity. Your neighbor (F-14 qualified) allegedly had doubts similar to mine and yours, and according to your account, had seen it making the internet rounds many times before. Neither you, nor Rick have posted anything other than second-hand accounts. Short of signed affadavits acceptable in a proper court-of-law, this dispute quite simply cannot be resolved.[)]

But, that's all irrelevant, we've moved on. I think the new challenge is much more fun!!!!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Law? Did somebody say "law"? You guys have fun.......... I'm out of here

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Clay,
    What makes you think that a courtroom and 'signed affidavits' have any association with the truth of the matter[?]

My vote is to decide this with the red car-blue car challenge you suggested earlier... I like 'ya Gasman, but I'll take the red car in this one simply because it has had more tweaking time out on the road. Not to mention that bug-free radiator. Weight savings you know!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian, I like you too. Hey what do you guys think of my new motor that Bill had on the engine stand at homecoming?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

This e-mail was received from Ex-Marine Major, "Mike (Nugget) Davidson", now a Jet Blue Captain and my nephew. I dont know Gasman's neighbor but there is obviously conflicting views. Nuggets co-pilot this week is an Ex Air Force F-117 Stealth Pilot and he concurs. Sorry Gasman, pay up or tune that Blue Car up for "The Run".[:P]

"The dude that I was flying with this weekend has pertinent knowledge of this very incident – apparently this pic has been around the internet for a while…he said that’s a no-**** real picture and the guy was only grounded for a week, not 30 days…this kind of stuff is common during “blue water ops” – this happened out at sea on the Stennis off the coast of Japan…that airplane is producing plenty of lift, but the lift vector is just not up – in a 90 degree bank, it is parallel to the ground or in this case the ship/water…my guess is that he’s hauling ass and has plenty of energy to pull this off – otherwise it’s be in the news…I also imagine he rolled wings level shortly after this photo was taken and converted the energy associated with his speed into energy associated with more altitude – e.g. he climbed as opposed to crashing…oohrah, Nugget"

Good description of the incident by a pilot.
    Nuff said

Rick

Clay,

You should have waited before making that statment...
    You and brother be in the same boat.

Rick

Rick my friend, I believe this steak dinner bet is about the authenticiy of a photograph, not a race. Please relay to "Nuggets" that I am multi-engine, instrument rated pilot. There is "no lift vector" in a 90 degree bank, but there is plenty of centifical force. The neighbor that examined the same photograph we have all seen is a Tomcat pilot. Your Ex-Air Force buddy flew an entirely different aircraft, in all liklihood has never flown the Tomcat, and certainly never flown off a carrier deck.

As far as pictures go, it is indeed an inspiring conversation piece but I'll never believe it to be real. If you want it to be..thats fine.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Steve, you need to learn to read, Nugget was with F-18's and I beleive they are a carrier jet, would you not agree. His Co-pilot was with the USAF and also a fighter pilot. So take your multi-engine rating and shove it!
    Better go buy you an engine for that Blue Car, then take some driving lessons.

Rick

Lets not go negative there good buddy, to the best of my knowledge I believe the carrier decks are reserved for the Navy jocks.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

gotta go, to much to do!

Guys, this was supposed to be funny, not personal.....hence the car grudge match as a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brian, my reference to signed affadavits were purely in jest.

Rick, one observation.......Nugget, as a former Marine F-18 pilot might have knowledge of it, but he didn't claim any direct knowledge in the e-mail you posted above. If I understand it correctly, he said the person claiming it's authenticity was his A-320 co-pilot he happened to be flying with this week, who said he was an USAF F-117 (Stealth Fighter)pilot.

I worked with a lot of these guys over the years. Urban legends are as common among military pilots as they are with the general public. I would imagine only someone aboard the USS Stennis at the time could really confirm it.

www.snopes.com which is a good source for whether interent legends are myth or true has nothing on the incident.

In any event, you both have produced second or third hand accounts from ex-military pilots and one says yes, the other says no. That makes it a draw.....LOL.

For me, it's the claim that the guy got only 30 days or 1 week off that makes it really unbelievable. I've been in aviation safety since 1979, and ran flight ops for the 4th largest airline in the world during the 90's. I've worked extensively in both military and civilian flight safety and participated in many accident investigations. And, I gotta tell you the skipper of the Stennis would have or should have had him in the brig.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

This thread is as good as the Road America crash debates over on CC!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car