Thread: banjo fitting

banjo fitting

my local speed shop was trying to help me around the issue of finding ballon flared brake line. he thought we could grind down a flared adapter and use banjo washers to seat the fittings shoulder on the caliper, regular double flared 3/16 line could then be attached to the adapter. any thoughts? I already am getting new lines from unique as i have no local sources, but thought this might be an interesting option

Scott,
    These are your brakes...Do you really want to trust an option that 'might work'? Imagine where these are in the car and having to change them out if something should fail over time.

Try Moss motors or XKs Unlimited. They may not be cheap, but they should have the bridge lines you need.

Worst case, buy a bubble flare tool. Again, it may be a one time use tool, but it will be cheap insurance. You can even find an out of state shop that can flare them for you if you send the tubing and mark the location.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Scott,

As I said in a prior post - I had some of the same issues with my brake lines and calipers. Some call those brake flares a "bubble" flare, however, I have had them referred to as an "inverted" flare. I have a mechanic friend you had an inverted flare tool that I tried, and after several failed attempts, gave up. My suggestion would be to find a shop that does inverted flaring and have them do it. You may have to send it out if nothing is available locally, but as Brian said, "might work" wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling... especially if we're talking about, "it might stop before I hit that tree." [xx(]

Good luck!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott,
    Scour your phone book for foreign car repair places. Jaguar, MG, Triumph, etc. If one can be found in NW Arkansas, it can be found almost anywhere!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Get a double flaring tool. Any good parts house has them. Not that expensive.

Local speed shop guy is an idiot.

Have fun
    Brent

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Phil,
    An Inverted flair, Double flair & Bubble flair are 3 differant types of flairs.

sometimes i forget that british auto repair shops are out there, this is my first experince with jag stuff and i'm still stuck in the NAPA or worse yet kragen mindset

Bubble

Inverted

Double

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brent,
    What you are showing in the second figure is a cross section of an inverted flair adapter fitting. Either a single or double inverted flair will work in it. The third shows a cross section of a double inverted flair. Just a plain inverted flair just has one thickness of the tubing at the end. The double inverted is used mostly because steel tubing will split at the end with a single inverted flair.