I had the opportunity to stop in and visit Dan Dutton, at Dutton Performance, right after I stopped by to visit Juan's car, I mean the Weavers, in Gadsden last week . I was dropping off some engine parts with Dan to start my 408W build up. While there, Dan and I got to chatting about an engine he has ready to go into some lucky person's Cobra (it is available). He assembled a sonic-tested standard bore 428FE, and it looks mighty sweet [:P][:P]! Check out the photos below.

The aluminum valve cover side...

and the chrome valve cover side... the buyer gets to decide which way it comes.

It produced 475.7 hp @ 5600 and 497.3 ft lbs @ 3800, and Dan thought it might even go over 500 ft lbs below 3800 rpm. Apparently, this beast has a bunch of options like the Lakewood bell housing, Centerforce clutch, Edelbrock heads, stainless steel surge tank, turkey pan, and... and I can't remember the rest.

Anyway, I thought you all might like to see the pics. If this thing is anything like Eric Miller's engine, it is gonna be sweet ! I saw Eric's on Dan's dyno, and it was fab [:P]!

Please excuse my ramblings, as I am in engine building mode and I like to ask questions and then talk about it. I will try to post pics of my engine as it materializes from parts. Dan is planning to convert my '74 351W block to the one-piece rear main seal.

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear