Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: superformance vs unique

superformance vs unique

Ok guys,

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the car, but I have one last question I was hoping you could help me with. Why a Unique instead of a Superformance?

I'm going turnkey with a side oiler and 15's, I want to keep it as close to the original as possible (if you want a Cobra you should get a Cobra-not a Mustang), except for safety upgrades.

What do you guys think?

Whatever answers you receive here, keep in mind that everone here on this forum is very biased towards Unique Motorcars. So you're not going to get any negative feedback on this marque. On the other hand, "keep it as close to the original as possible" there are probably other opinions to be had..... for instance, I think Kirkham is probably a dead ringer for an original. I heard that original owners go to Kirkham to get parts and what not. Also, I think that ERA makes a very good knock off of an original. Superformance makes a very good car, but I don't think it comes closer to the real thing than Kirkham or ERA.... and throw Unique in that mix too. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Shelby's continuation cars
    My advise to you would be to visit a dealer and/or factory to see up close the ones making your short list. Then see about getting a test drive to see how you fit into it..... these cars are not known for their creature comforts, so you want to figure this into your decision before plunking down the dough on something you find uncomfortable riding in. Good luck, either car will put a smile on your face.....

Oh and one more thing..... the Superformance comes with power brakes and the Unique is manual (like the orginal) so this "may" equate to shorter stopping distances if this is a concern to you.

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

You really can't go wrong with either choice. I think you'll find a pretty loyal following in either camp. One thing to consider is that Unique is built here in USA, and you get the opportunity to become a family member of the company. SPF has some great dealers in the US, but the Weavers are bone deep in Unique. And another family member is Bill Parham of Southern Automotive here in Atlanta. Bill is Mr. Sideoiler. He will build you a motor, carry it up to Unique and install it in your car prior to pick up. You'll probably save a few bucks to boot.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

I agree with what Jim and Tony said. The perceptions of one's personal eyeballs are a funny thing. My eyeballs tell me Unique, Kirkham, Contemporary (out of business)and ERA are closest to the original, but then again, what was an original body? They were all hand-made, pounded out of aluminum, by different people, on different days over time, and one original CSX 427 can look a bit different from another. Put two originals side-by-side, and a sharp eye will see differences, especially in the rear hips and fender flairs.

Both ERA and Unique say their fiberglass molds came off original cars. The Kirkhams also own an original car and claim the same for the the equipment they use to build aluminum bodies. I'm not familiar with SPF's claim.

The only negative thing I've heard about SPF lately is that some rather specific parts (e.g. windshields and other odds and ends) take a long time to receive from S. Africa. Windshields on SPFs have been a hot controversy lately. You can't get into the SPF site unless you're an owner and have a password, so discussion of them is rather controlled.

No one complains about ERA except how long it takes between the time from order to receiving a car, but their customer service is superb as is Unique's. There are people who ordered Shelby's a couple of years ago, and still don't have them.

It's a very complicated decision, and all boils down to what you like, what you have to spend, and how long you're willing to wait.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I have had a Superformance and I have inspected Uniques over the years and there is no fair comparisson as both are totally different in good points and purpose of the rides. Superformance is a well put together machine designed for the individual who does not necessarily want to build his replica. The Uniques are well built kits designed for the person who wants to have taken part in all or part of the build process.

The fit and finish of the Superformance is factory built with good quality control standards in great volume a year during the past 10 years. The fit and finish of Uniques is a labor of love one of a kind type of process tried and true for almost 30 years. They have it down to a science.

Both machines are great, I owned a Superformance 427SC and now I will own a Unique 289. I am biased towards each one for totally different reasons and with each one you will get a car that you will enjoy for many many years.

You have to be open minded when you compare both of them and accept each for what it is, designed for your particular purpose and use.

You will not go wrong with either one. To purchase either one you will end up paying just about the same if equally prepared and optioned.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Go with the Unique and you will be satisfied.

Like Jim said, we are biased toward Uniques here !

Juan, I am sure that what you said is true. Can you be more specific about the details of your discussion, or is it simply build vs. turnkey-minus?

The Superformance seems like a nice car, but I have never driven nor ridden in one. What about the performance of the two? I know the Unique is impressive [:P].

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

My observations on a Superformance is from personal ownreship of one. My opinions on Uniques are based on observations within the last 2 years of cars at homecoming, shades of the past and visit to the factory and ordering a 289.

If you compare turnkey minus to turnkey minus both Unique and Superformance are a solid buy. The attention to detail by Superformance and that of the Weavers is pretty good. So far I have witnessed a comparable quality from car to car if both are turnkey minus. The fiberglass work by the Weavers is a very sound and strong handlaid product. Superformance is also handlaid but in greater volume.

You cannot compare the two factories. As I said Unique is a quality product that gets tons of personal attention by the Weavers giving you a product that is second to none as a turnkey minus. Superformance is a huge corporation of over 700 people that gives you also a quality product as a turnkey minus. In greater volume.

Determine what you like about each and go with your gut instinct, you will not go wrong with either. This is a great forum with brand loyalty and deservedly so. If you want an unbiased opinion you almost have to do what I did, buy a Superformance and enjoy it. Also buy a Unique and enjoy it. You will be satisfied with both for totally different reasons.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

One consideration, the Superformance is made to accept all engines in the frame. If your using a 427 FE engine it sits higer in the chassis on a Superformance car[V]. In the Unique car the engine you pick is a key part of the build. The motor mounts are welded in to accept that engine and it sits where it is suppose to lower in the chassis. The Superformance car is taller than a Unique because it can accept a 460 engine at the same location as a 351 or 427.
    Don't like the strapped on fuel tank on the rear of a Superformance, Safety???[xx(]
    The engine compartments are a little messy for me, to many wires and lines, just my thoughts.
    But for a finished car you can't go wrong, there fine as there are hundreds of them out there and they all look alike.

Rick

I own a Unique.
    But...I sat in a SP Cobra last week ( it was going around a bunch of Canadian summer events being raffled off fo charity...I did buy a ticket.)
    Only comment.....The SP seats were so much more comfortable than my 427.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Both a darn good car. I to prefer to sit in the superformance seat but you don't have to use the Unique seat if that is a big issue. Besides, wasn't Unique coming out with a new seat? A big factor for me would be service. Unique has been doing this for 28 years and I have yet to hear one bad thing about their service.
    Rick

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

It's pretty simple to change the seats. I bought a used set of Backdraft seats that fit my body type better, which were installed in less than an hour. Seat preference is a highly variable thing everyone seems to like something different.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

Did they fit right in place of the stock seats? Mods/probs? Ballpark cost?

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Paul,

No mods were required, except to drill appropriate holes in the new seats to match the ones in the Unique floor. As I said the whole installation process took me less than an hour for both seats.

The Backdraft seats I bought were slightly used, and I picked them up for $300 for the pair. They apparently don't fit larger, or more portly people (which is how I found them out of a new Backdraft), but they're shaped to hold you in the seat during lateral cornering. I think Finishline also sells the same seat, but I don't recall the price.

I also removed the driver's side seat tracks because I'm the only one driving the car, but there's no reason why you couldn't use those either. I'm 6'2" and wanted to be lower in the car, so I mounted them directly to the floor.

The reason I find them more comfortable is that they're fiberglass buckets formed more in the shape of a human rear, as opposed to a flat board with the cushion on top. They're also leather. My rear doesn't have much padding, and even though I tried putting that dense Tempur foam in the Unique seat, it still hurt after an hour or so. I can drive the car long-distance with the more formed seat, without the numb rear.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Here's another showing the shape and side bolsters.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Thanks Clay, looks good .

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

All,
    As I look at Clay's pictures, the Finish Line seats are different as they are identical reproductions of the original Cobra seat. They have sprung bottoms and are all leather around an aluminum shell. Ours barely fit into the cockpit and it took some time to figure out a way to shoehorn them in. As is, we are modifying the cockpit returns slightly for more clearance. (The top of the seat just rubs the bottom of the return at the outboard corners of the seat) I'll post some pictures next week, I'm going to the painter this weekend to check on progress.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

All,
    Here is a shot of the Finish Line seats in our car. These are "OEM Cobra seats" for whatever that's worth. Note the difference in height between the Unique seat and the closeness at the rear corner of the cockpit. In case you are wondering, the mounting for the seats is so close to the cockpit floor that we will not be able to run carpet padding. These seats are just that much taller! I would attribute the height difference to the sprung seat...There is literally 2" or more under the seat to allow for the springs to flex.

Cushy!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Some of you know, but I was able to lay my hands on a new set of Superformance seats that are now in my Cobra. They were in at homecoming and did great (no sore butt) on the 3 hour drive to and back from GA to AL.

quote:Originally posted by patrija

Some of you know, but I was able to lay my hands on a new set of Superformance seats that are now in my Cobra. They were in at homecoming and did great (no sore butt) on the 3 hour drive to and back from GA to AL.
    Pics?????

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue