Thread: Lost Compomotive Fake Spinner

Lost Compomotive Fake Spinner

In installing my SPAL fan (thanks for the advice here - works great) - didn't tighten down the fake spinner on the Compomotive wheel enough after taking off the wheel to get at the fan wiring (only an idiot would assume that the fan is held on by the spinner) and blew off the fake spinner somewhere on my drive. Called Compomotive and they are off for two weeks. (english holiday).

Anyone know where I can buy one - anyone out there who wants to sell one - quoted me $65 per over the phone.

Dave

Dave,

I don't have one to sell, but Compomotive does recommend putting a small bead of silicone around the spinner flange where it mounts into the center hole. It's extra protection. I had them come off twice before I started doing that.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Dave, I lost a rear spinner on the Pennsylvania Turnpike a few years ago. It cost $50.00 to replace at that time. A month later I drove to Uniques Homecoming. One evening I took a side trip to Huntsville for a night out with local friends and managed to lose the new spinner in Boaz,Al about midnight on my way back to Gadsden. I ended up walking back and forth along the road for about an hour to find it. The next day I coated the set screws in each spinner with a thin film of Blue Loc-Tite. I haven't had any problems since.
    Geary

Dave,

Now that you have plenty of advise on "spinner retention" I will supply the spinner. I have a couple of spares, just give me your address and I'll send one out to you on Monday. And since I'm such a nice guy I'll give it to you.... Lord knows I would be all pissed off looking at my car with only three spinners on it and waiting for one from across the pond could take the rest of the summer.

Pete Wolff
    pjw101257@aol.com

Pete,

You are truly a nice guy. Let me at least pay for postage. I will email you my address as well as company Fed-Ex id.

For everyone else - I am working my "spinner retention" plan.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hey, way to go Pete!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Dave,

I got your email with the Fed Ex ID #. How does that work? Do I just bring the addressed package to my local Fed Ex depot (in this case Stamford CT.) and give them the #? Please advise as I'm used to paying them in cash.

Pete

Pete, Yep that's it. Nice gesture...........

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Pete,

On the FedEx form in the Payment box (#7) check bill to Recipient and enter my FedEx Account No below.

Thanks again - I owe you one....

Dave

Dave,

It's boxed and ready to ship, I'll try to get it to Fed Ex today. You owe me nothing, I'm happy to help

Pete

You just gotta love this group!

DaveG - Now that your problem seems to be solved, I just have one observation...

You wrote "In installing my SPAL fan (thanks, works great) - didn't tighten down the fake spinner on the Compomotive wheel enough and blew it off somewhere on my drive."

If you think that fan works well held on by the spinner, you should try it on the back of the radiator!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

LOL.........I almost made a similar crack, but then I said, nah, he just removed a wheel to run the fan wiring......I hope.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brian - luckily the thread has editing....please review original post....[8D][8D][8D]

Dave

Dave--threw a spinner on way to deepsouth cobra club annual bash in ocala, fla.yr. before last, took six or seven mo. to get one from compomotive, $50 , learned to put ample supply of rtv on , almost toooo much. Will-alabama

Dave,

Spinner shipped @0900hrs today (Monday) Sent it 2nd day air (your dime!) Tracking # 8531 9417 7348. You should have a full spinner count for cruising this weekend

Pete

Lucky for me when my spinner flew off I head it hit the pavement. Looked back and saw it up about 25' in the air. After about four bounces it stopped spinning. When you tighten the screws, look for the marks on the spinner, dril a small hole about 1/16" deep so screw will lock into spinner and keep it from turning while on the wheel. Always check them just like everything else on car.
    Bob