Thread: Older Unique Body?

Older Unique Body?

A gentleman over in CC posted this link asking for help in identifying a replica he bought at an auction. Based on the lines, the shape of the door tops and the hood opening, I think that it's an early Unique body or a splash of one used in a one-off project with vette rear suspension and drivetrain. http://www.richs-cars.com/Cobra.html
    Here is a link to the thread: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...441#post615441
    Any thoughts?

Tropical Buzz

I do not know about the real old Uniques but this has some items that would make me say no:

Hood pin area on body
    Short cut doors where they meet the cowl
    Round foot boxes
    Battery location
    Shape of the rear of the doors
    Tunnel shape
    Door hinges
    Square cut opening for side louvers
    Trunk hinges on the outside
    Fuel fill location

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

The hood pin area is identical on older Uniques to the one pictured but that is about it as far as I can see.
    Thanks
    Rick

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Good edit Brent - kinda left my post hangin' out there. Might as well edit too!
    As far as the older bodies go, my car was built in '88 and the hood opening is identical to that one, including the "hood pin area". The body may have been bought or splashed without the cutouts for the filler, louvers and sidepipes. The trans tunnel does look a bit wide and though the inside door edge does look similar to mine, It does seem to have a pronounced cutout - maybe to clear the door latch (?). Overlooking the shocking departures from what is normal, the lines of the body appear to have that appealing, correct look that Unique and very few other manufacturers have managed to capture. If Alan or anyone who knows the older bodies chimes in, I'll post the feedback for the owner on CC. Just trying to help the guy out, that's all.

EDIT: Thanks Rick - looks like our posts overlapped.

Tropical Buzz

My money would be on an Everett Morrison body.
    Used to operate out of Tampa.
    White chopper gun glass lay up.
    4 inch round tube frame.....and they favoured a lot of Corvette
    under pinnings.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike, I thought about EM as well, but the EM cars have a more "FFR" look to the rear fenders and side profile. Despite the mods, the lines on this car look quite correct. The guy on CC posted back that he wants to get rid of the blower and install a normal hood for a more traditional look, so it's a start. Looking closer at the inner front fender liner though, I now doubt that it is a Unique body.

Tropical Buzz

Well the label says it was manufactured by "Shelby American".

Maybe you're friend just got one of those "barn finds" you hear about.

JOhn

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Hey guys - I don't think it's a splash job. Brent's list is probably only the tip of the iceberg of manufacturer dialed-in traits that make this car not a Unique.
    I'm not being hypercritical, but too much is different.
    I guess were're spoiled with our Uniques. I don't think any of us would feel safe driving it with that unsupported free-flying steering linkage sailing through the engine bay.

-Geary

There were several manufacturers that had a hood pin area like the one on that car, there wasn't a source for hood latches in the early days of the Cobra replica. It definetly is not one of ours, my guess is CMC or Arntz.

Alan

Thanks guys. I'll pass it on.

Tropical Buzz