Thread: engine horsepower

engine horsepower

I am considering increasing the horsepower on a 351w that is very stock or replacing engine. Would anyone share with me their engine ,horsepower combinations and their takes on the performance ? I would appreciate all the advice I could get. Iam a novice at performance engines.[?]

Here's my two cents worth, call bill or susan at southern automotive, in georgia or check out their website at southernautomotiveengeines.com

thanks
    gearie jr.

I have an early 70's 351W with very mild modifications:

GT-40 iron heads
    Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
    Ford Motorsport Cam (very mild - I think the duration is around 290)
    Barry Grant Street Demon 650 carb

My car puts down around 300hp at the rear wheels. With a 3.31 gear, Tremec 5-speed, and crappy Goodyear Eagle street tires, I can run high 12-second quarters. Personally, I think my car needs a lot more under the hood, but I thought that I would share what you could expect from a combo like mine.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

I've got a 351 with a fairly mild build - Edelbrock Performer RPM heads & intake, Holley 650 DP. Can't remember the cam specs, but its somewhere between mild and wild. Package produces about 385 HP at the crank. I like having power that I can lay down as aggressively as I want on the street, track, or autocross course. This fits my bill. I drive the car a lot (almost 20,000 in the last 3+ years), and for my purposes this is ideal. Tons of HP is always fun, but for me this is about right. Good luck with your choices.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

There are a lot of ways to increase HP and I guess the big question is how you plan on using the car / motor. If you're doing it for full race intentions, you would probably go with a very aggressive cam (a lot of duration and lift), high flow cylinder heads, and an intake manifold to match the heads flow. If your intent is to have a car that is primarily a street driver, with an ocassional run on a 1/4 mile strip and or road course, you would probably go for a street / race cam (less duration and lift, better idle), and the appropriately matched intake manifold and cylinder heads.

You also need to address the carb setup that will be feeding fuel to this more powerful motor. I just went through this same exercise to "tweak" my 302.

I ended up doing the following which will take my stock 302 HO motor (225-230 hp) up to 350 HP at 5800 RPM:

-Aluminum cylinder heads. Was going with AFR 165's (you would
    probably need the 185's) until Unique told me I would have to
    modify the exhaust system to use AFR heads (this was based on a
    car they built for someone using AFR's..they had to modify the
    exhaust headers ). They recommended, instead of having to modify
    my headers, to go with either Trick Flow or Edelbrock. I went with
    Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, bought via Panhandle Performance.
    They buy the casting, use better valves than stock (Ferrea racing
    valves), polish the bowl, use upgraded springs for my roller cam,
    and the result is a head that flows better than the 'out of the
    box' version. Turns out that the AFR 165 and 185 heads CAN be used
    without modifying the headers, and it is the larger AFR's that
    require modifying the headers. I have the new TRick Flows on my
    desk in the den, and they are beauties. Can't wait to get them
    installed in the next 2 weeks.

When you switch from iron heads to aluninum you can run a full
    one point more in compression as the aluminum, which has faster
    heat transfer characteristics, burns cooler. "iron heads make
    more power" is a quote you will come across. In order to pick up
    a small additional bit of compression I am not using the normal
    relatively thick Felpro gaskets, but a much thinner racing head
    gasket (costs $125 a set instead of $45) that is about 20
    thousandths thinner, this gives the effective benefit of milling
    the heads to slightly decrease the size of the combustion chamber
    and increase the compression slightly.

-Intake manifold. My motor had an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
    manifold, and it flows well enough for my 302. Your motor migh
    take something a little bigger. Key is to have the flow
    characteristics of you intake matched to your cylinder heads. Too
    much Volume flow capacity in the intake is not good because then
    the velocity may drop, which can cause the air fuel volatized
    mixture to separate. Velocity of flow is very important.

-Camshaft. This determines how everything works. The guy I would
    recommend you talk to does nothing but grind cams. Jim Dowell
    of Racer Brown Cams in Maryland. (410) 866-7660. My stock HO cam
    has 209 duration and .444 lift @ .050. I am going with a new one
    that has 221 duration and .500 lift @ .050, not an aggressive
    cam, more duration (valves are open slightly longer) than my
    present cam, and about 60 thousandths more lift, so the valves
    open more to let in more fuel / air to the chamber.

-Carb. Having the righ carb and having it tuned properly and
    timing etc. set right are critical to be able to get the desired
    performance from all of the above. Don Gould in Washington
    (web sight is 4secondsflat.com) is THE man. (503) 627-0728. Don
    will take in all of your engine, trans, rearend, etc. specs, and
    he will recommend a specific Demon carb. He will not have it
    shipped from the factory, but for $25 he will receive it as his
    shop, he will tear it down, and rebuild it to be sure all of the
    parts are correctly intalle

Thank you for the comments. My engine has an edelbrock performer rpm intake,edelbrock 600 cfm carb,and stock cam,pistons ,heads. I will use car primarily on the street but want enough power to play at the track occasionly.

My 351 based 396 build sheet from S.A. This little motor is strong. I'm guessing 420 - 430 HP at the flywheel.

351 W Block – E3AE-6015-18
    Scat #8160 3.850” Steel Stroker w One Piece Seal
    Ford D60E Forged Rods w ARP Bolts
    Engine Tech – Hypereutectic Pistons 9.8:1 Compression
    Hastings Molly Rings
    Engine Tech Bearings
    Elgin E961P Solid Lifter Cam
    Valve Lift .512 Int .536 Exh
    Duration at .050 238 Int 248 Exh
    Melling High Volume Oil Pump
    Canton 8 Qt. 15-660 Pan
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Fully Ported and Polished Heads
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Port Matched Manifold
    Motorsports Roller Rockers
    Motorsports 8.5” Heat Treated Pushrods
    Holly 3310 750 CFM with Choke Removed and Quick Change Spring Kit
    Centrifugal Advance Electronic Distributor
    Carter High Volume Mechanical Fuel Pump
    Aluminum High VolumeWater Pump
    March Pulleys
    Aluminum Flywheel
    Ram 11” Power Grip Street Strip Clutch
    Lakewood Blow Proof Bellhousing

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Real nice write-up Rick. Is that what you were running at homecoming?

Ralph

this is what i have, very happy with it. i haven't hammered it often, but it seems very strong.

289 FIA Body
    351 W stoked to 408
    forged crank, "H" beam rods, and 10.2 CR pistons
    edelbrock junior victor heads
    edelbrock FI
    crane powermax roller cam and rockers
    TKO 5 speed
    3.31 rear end

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Mel,

One thing that has not really been mentioned here, yet, is where in the rpm range you want to make your power. Typically, performance engines continue to increase their ability to make power as you move up through the rpm range, i.e. one setup might make 400Hp @ 5800rpm, but with different heads and intake the same size engine could make 500Hp @ 6600rpm and then still another setup on the engine could make 600Hp @ 7400rpm. The faster you twist it, with better breathing components, the more you can get out of it. The flip side of that is, the better the breathing components on a given size engine, the faster it must turn to take advantage of the power potential. However, the higher in the rpm range you move, the better the bottom-end components that are required to keep it all together. Additionally, the higher power performance in the higher rpm range typically comes at the expense of low end performance.

One problem with an extremely high flowing head on a small displacement engine is that you really need to twist it to see the performance, because the displacement cannot take advantage of the flow rate at low rpm. But, turning them fast is how folks get 500+ Hp out of 302ci engines.

One way to move the power down in the rpm range is to increase displacement. You can do this very easily in a 351W by stroking it (same for any engine for that matter). Dmiller and I have similar setups (mine is being built now by Dan Dutton of Dutton Performance). As is dmiller, I am using a forged bottom end (Eagle 4340 stroker crank to 408ci and H-beam rods, with forged SRP pistons), with Victor Jr. heads and the RPM Air Gap intake. At 0.050, the hydraulic cam has a duration of 236 and 242, with .555 and .576 lift (off-the-shelf Comp Cams grind). If I remember correctly, the static compression ratio is around 9.8:1. I am using a DaVinci 750 carb. The sister engine to this produced 524.7Hp @ 5500 rpm and 541Ft-lb of torque @ 4600rpm. The torque curve is broad (over 500Ft-lb from 3600 to 5500rpm).

The Vic Jr. heads are high flowing heads. They can be used on a fire-breathing 302 (read high rpm), but the increased displacement of the 408-stroker takes advantage of the extra flow to perform well lower in the rpm range. The RPM Air Gap is a dual plane manifold, which improves low end performance. You could get more out of the 408 by using a single plane manifold (like the Victor Jr. intake) and a solid lifter cam to run higher in the rpm range - say 7500rpm - at the expense of low end performance... not what I want for a primarily street car (could get 50-75Hp more).

The Edelbrock Performer RPM package that Rickd mentions is available for the 351W and it produces about 410Hp at the crank. The package is matched for ease of use. It includes the cam kit, heads, intake, and carb. There is a nice write-up on it in a book called "Ford Windsor small block performance," by Isaac Martin. ISBN 1-55788-323-8, which shows the dyno numbers, and it made 409Hp @ 6000rpm and 411Ft-lb of torque @ 4500rpm. (I was planning to go this route until I got a smokin' deal on the Eagle forged stoker crank.) The stock 351W lower end should take this power fine, so it is basically a bolt-on improvement, whereas the stroker setup is much more involved. Sounds like all you need are the cam and heads, then you are good to go... very fast !

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

My car originally had Bill's 400 HP Windsor. In my quest for more excitement, he built me a new Windsor with a 427 stroker kit. The Dyno said 385 HP and 402 ft/lbs of torque at the back wheels. The difference in performance was quite noticable.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Ralph, I believe you have me confused with another Rick. I was not fortuante enough to make it to this year's homecoming, as I had just gotten by FIA and was getting familiar with it to find out what upgrades I wanted to make. I'm hoping to go to the Reptile Roundup in November in Gainesville. Hope to meet some of you guys then! Rick

289 FIA, #9299, Viking Blue, 302 HO, T-5

Sorry Rick, I hope to meet you, but not able to make it to Gainesville. Hope you make it to the homecoming next year.

Ralph

GeorgiaSnake
    Your motor sounds like the one I got. When I bought mine it was advertised on SA website as a 396W Stroker with 455 hp. When I talked to Bill at the homecoming, he said it has alot more than that but they underrate them so nobody will get mad it they dyno it and come up with less. Mine came with a Hurricane Racing single plane manifold. Anything over 500 hp in a FIA is wasted money and tire smoke.
    Bob