Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Katrina

Paul, that is just heartbreaking.........I'm so sorry.

I'm guessing the insurance companies are trying to claim "storm surge" is a flood. What a maddening "technicality" since it was wind driven. It sounds like a class-action legal test could be in order, if they actually stick to that position.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

So sorry.

You are in our prayers.

Brent

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Well,... here we are five months out of Katrina and things are by no means even close to normal in southern Mississippi... for anyone. I haven't had the energy to post over the last few months. We are still at the campsite, but good news... we hope to have a FEMA trailer on the property soon.

No resolution from insurance as yet... not exactly sure when that will be finished. I am trying to remain cautiously optomistic ! We'll see...

It is official. The tranny is history... who knows, it may well have blown up to Tennessee for all I know... the wind was really bad ! The debris from the street, as shown below is now gone, and there was no toploader found. (It could easily have been scooped up by the monster equipment used in the cleanup.)

As you know, our homesite is pictured above in this thread. The first photo here is looking east down our street past our home site, shortly after the second round cleanup (the first round was a path barely wide enough for a car). The home site picture above was taken on the left side of this photo, between the first roof structure and the green roof structure in the background, looking south (facing right in the photo). I will be discussing this green roof later.

The second photo is taken by turning to the left (i.e. north) slightly from the first photo, but still looking somewhat toward the east. This is the roof structure from our home. It was a cape-style house with the second story inside the roof. You are looking into the second-story master bedroom through the doors on this end. It is now sitting in our neighbor's front yard across the street. This end was originally facing south, and the building was accross the street on the south side of the road behind the debris pile (right hand side of the first photo)!

The third photo is taken by turning to the left/north again about 90 degrees. This is the roof structure of the cottage that was behind the house. It was moved a long, long way! The house roof is to the right of this (second photo).

The fourth photo is of my pickup truck. This photo is taken down the street by the telephone pole past the green roof mentioned in the first photo above (third pole down in first photo), and facing north. My truck is next to the red Ford van.

The fifth photo is a close up of the passenger's side front of the truck. Notice the wheel cover and the hood in the pile just to the left of the van. The bright green/blue spot, to the left of the wheelcover, is the beginning of the rocker panel on the passenger's side.

Last photo: anybody want to buy a souvenier of hurricane Katrina ? The truck as it came out of seclusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second street clean up - day ten.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house roof remnant.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cottage roof remnant.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick up in debris pile.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	206  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick up in debris pile - close up.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick up for sale.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	208  
    Last edited by Slither; February 2nd, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Unbelivable Paul the pictures really show it. I don't know how you could find anything in those piles. Our prayers continue for you and your family. Sorry to hear it is taking so long to get the FEMA trailer onsite.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph, we appreciate everyone's prayers, as they are helping to carry us right now. This has been very hard for us, and eveyone else down on the coast... very depressing .

The check-points are finally gone, and now the sightseers are descending on us . I realize that people need to see it in person (it is not really possible to comprehend it without seeing it firsthand... the coast is simply gone), but it does not make it any easier to see out of town buses stopping so that folks can go out on the beach with metal detectors .

We hope to be in a FEMA trailer in a couple of weeks. I will likely be off-line for a while, starting in a day or two.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul,

Our prayers and best wish to you and your family. Sitting out west it is hard to comprehend what you have (and still are) gpoing through as a result of Katrina. Thanks for posting the pictures - - it helps to keep those imagines at the top of mind and remind folks that it didn't end when the rain and wind subsided.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Paul

Heard Lousiana director of economic dev. giving some numbers at big meeting--fellow was almost in tears begging for any help, said La. had 235,000 home destroyed in the thirteen lower parishes. This is almost incomprehensible to fathom, magnitude of devastation. This didn,t count N. Orleans and Miss. where you are.Somebody sent pictures of giant cottonmouth snakes on destroyed oil derricks partially submerged but had some out of water. Man, god bless you, we continue to pray for all of you. Somehow ,we feel helpless in light of the devastation.Will-alabama

Paul, I heard an interesting report on Fox News earlier this week. According to the report, only 9 out of 66 counties had approved mobile homes/temporary housing. FEMA has "THOUSANDS" of brand new mobile homes that are piling up and cannot be delivered because of the zoning delays. Can you comment on accuracy of this? After the bashing the Govenor has taken, you'd think this type of approval would be swift.
    Steve

Governors

office said 23,000 sba loan applications had been made but only something like a dozen had been approved.Lousiana would have come out better if they had officially declared war on the US.We have already spent over 300b. in Iraq for the war and infrastructure--schools--firestations--water--etc.Fridays 2 cents. Will-alabama

I am sorry Steve, but I am not aware of that issue. It looks like we are going to end up in a travel trailer for the duration... we don't qualify for a mobile home ... not even the small park models.

That said, it will seem like a real step up the food chain to get into something a little bigger and at the same time be back on our property!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear