Thread: Exhaust Header Gasket Replacement

Exhaust Header Gasket Replacement

What's the best way to replace the header gasket with side pipes. Do you have to loosen where side pipe attaches under body, then unbolt from engine? I've got to replace with copper gaskets.
    bob

Bob,

I haven't had to replace those gaskets, but it would seem to me to be a lot easier to disconnect the headers at the collector flange (sidepipe). It's only four easy-to-access nuts/bolts on each side. My concern for my situation is access the header bolts on my FE - it's extremely tight!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil
    Mine is a 396W and is real easy to get to. If I disconnect where header meets side pipe, I'll have to re-gasket or seal with sealant. I thought maybe by loosening at body, it would drop away from motor enough to replace.
    Bob

You will need to remove the side pipes from the car.Take out all the header bolts and clean,clean all of the old gaskets off. My advice would be not to use copper {been there and done that }.Was told they would leak and they did leak evey where.Then I used Mr.Gasket ultra seals an lock /split bolts no problems [^] so far.

Eric Miller

Eric
    Are the Mr. Gasket ultra seal gaskets a soft white looking material? This friend had used copper and had no problems. I got a set today from a local speed shop and I don't see how something that hard (copper) will seal around the exhaust ports. Beside that they were $49.00. I'm with you, maybe take back and get something cheaper. What is a split bolt?
    Bob

Bob I second the Mr. Gasket ultra seal gaskets. I used them on my Mustangs and never had problems. The all copper gaskets on the other hand were nothing but problems.

Justin

Bob,

They are a black multi layer material and are supposed to conform to your headers.I have allot of friends who use them.The split bolts I got from summit or jegs? are 12 point with a set screw in the center to help to keep them from backing out.Its hard work to replace all of these gaskets so I hope our advice helps a little.

Eric

I took copper gaskets back, picked up a pair of the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal and on the way to counter saw a "Real SeaL" by Holley Performance. It's a multi-layered soft aluminum. What I liked is the holes are cut with real square corners and the opening measures 1-5/8" which means I don't have to cut to enlarge for my trick flow heads. The old gasket had a 1/2" piece blown out at the rear of head.

I had to replace a header gasket and tried to avoid removing the side pipe -- unfortunately didn't work. By removing the side pipe from the header and getting the header completely out of the engine bay you will have just enough room to remove the old gasket -- I would suggest using a gasket remover and make sure you get every last piece off otherwise you will have leaks -- good luck

It's a done deal. Used the Holly performance "Real Seal" aluminum. So far so good. The easiest way to remove header is to un bolt where it meets the side pipe collector.