Thread: silicone anyone ?

silicone anyone ?

Anyone using silicone brake fluid in their cobra? I am planning on using silicone with my wilwood brakes, boiling point at 550 degrees.

thanks
    gearie jr.

Silicone brake fluid is only recommended for cars that are stored for long periods of time and aren't driven. This topic has been discussed before and someone can probably find the link.
    bob

I used silicone fluid for about 5 years. 20k plus miles. No adverse affects. I didn't research, but Butch uses it and he helped me bleed. His reason was if you drip a drop the dot3 type will stain paint.

That said, I use a McLeod hyd throw out. Last year I had it out because it didn't seem to function properly and the O rings were shot. I don't know if the silicone had anything to do with it, but I did change my clutch system no more silicone.

Hows that for taking a firm position??[?]

Dan Fowler, better known in Kit Car as Don Flowers. *427SC *428MSG with goodies *Tremec *3:31 posi *Ford Performance White w/light stripes *Grey interior *completed 1999

I've read many times on CC and other places that it's a "no-no" in Wilwood-type MCs. Before I "knew any better," I put it in my car to solve a clutch fade problem when the old DOT3 heated up. It totally solved the clutch fade problem foreover, and my Wilwood MC is still going strong more than 2 years later.

I'm neither recommending for or against it......just reporting my experience.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I also have used silicone in my brakes and when I replaced my fronts this winter I also replaced the old silicone fuild with new fluid. In my McLeod I use DOT 4 Balkamp, 311 degrees wet boiling point and it has worked just fine.

Ralph

I went back and did some research, spoke with alan at unique, he does not recommend silicone brake fluid. he gave me some info om wilwood brakes. I visited there website and they clearly state that they do not recommend silicone brake fluid. website is www.wilwood.com

thanks for all the replies
    gearie jr.

I know. Thanks Gearie. I read the same info as well. Butch, Dan, and I have been using it (for over ten years in Butch's case and 5 years in each Dan and mine.) Use what you are comfortable with we were simply answering your question.

Ralph

Ralph....

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I am curently installing a McLeod HTB on my tranny. There instructions say to use dot 3 brake fluid only and DO NOT use synthetic or silicone brake fluid. After reading about all the problems some owners have had with this set up , I plan to follow the instructions to the letter. Can anyone tell me the differences between dot 3, dot 4 , etc?

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152

I don't recommend it for various reasons. And yes, I know there are plenty that use it and have good 'luck'. There are a number of fluids, non silicone, out there with those type of temperature capabilities.

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

I just put in a Master Power Brakes front disk conversion kit (for GM A-body), and it stated DOT 3 fluid only. Don't remember if DOT 5 would void the warranty, or what.

Nothing worries me more on a freshly painted car than having to open up the brake system for some reason!

Zach Butterworth
    Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
    (Mom & Dad's 427)

I used DOT 4 it has a slightly higher boiling point than DOT 3 and it is not silicone.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

I have been using Dot4 since 2002. The Wilwood brake/clutch master cylinders and the Wilwood/Jaguar brakes seem to be doing fine. The exception is my Mcleod hydraulic throw-out bearing. The fluid is very slowly leaking past the sealing rings. I am removing my transmission this fall to replace the seals and flush the clutch hydraulic system with DOT3.

-Geary

So is Dot 4 acceptable or even preferred for the clutch and brake system
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.