Thread: Part 1 The introduction

Part 1 The introduction

I hope that you are all ready for another Cobra build story. I have found the other stories on this Forum to be very interesting and helpful and I hope that mine will be that for you. I also hope to get some good feedback on some of the issues of my build that I still have yet to work out.
    My name is Rod and in December of 2004 I purchased Unique 289 FIA # 9152 (The Flintstone Cobra) from its original owner. The car had been disassembled, has no motor or transmission, and the floor and foot boxes have been cut out. My family, upon seeing the condition it was in, commented that it was like a Flintstone’s car that you would move by running your feet underneath, hence the name.
    This is what I have been told about the car. It was first assembled in 1993 and used primarily for racing. The original owner, Dave, did several modifications to the car that he deemed necessary to enhance the car’s appearance, performance and safety. At some point Dave felt he had done all he could do with the cars original chassis and decided that the best way to further improve the performance of the car was to build a complete new chassis using only the body from the original car. Dave started his plan by disassembling the entire car and cutting away what he didn’t think was necessary. The back panel, the tunnel, the floor and foot boxes were all removed to make way for the new chassis. Fortunately that’s all the further the carnage went. The project stalled and was set aside to collect dust. A few years later a friend of Dave’s talked him in to letting him put the car back together. He gathered up all the pieces and took them to his shop where the project stalled again and it gathered dust for almost 2 more years. The car at this point went up for sale and that’s where I came in. I am currently repairing and reassembling the car as I have time and am looking forward to sharing the progress with the members of this forum. Here are some pictures of the car when I first saw it.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod it sounds like a long term project. Should be a fun one. A real body off restoration. Hope you continue to postr pics of your progress. There is always something appealing about rescuing a neglected/abused car.

Ralph

Hey Phil you have time on your hands now, retired at what 55yrs old. must be the life. I'm sure Rod can use some help.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Rod's been by a couple of times taking measurements, etc. He definitely has a project on his hands, and with the fall weather setting in it should be more appealing to spend time in the garage. BTW, Rod has my number should he need help

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Rob,

Looks like a great project - and it'll be nice to see a good FIA car get back on the road. I'll enjoy keeping up with your progress. Post often!

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Your right Phil, the hot weather has put a little damper on getting things done but I am making some progress. I'll post some more pictures when I get time.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod--looks like a good one, yea, we like a build, keep us up on it , we like pictures.Phil is a good hand to have close by.Will-alabama

Will, Yes Phil has been more help than he knows. I felt extreemly fortunate to find another Unique cobra so close to my home. The photos and measuments that I was able to get from his car have been very useful.
    Phil if you have time you can come by and hone your driving skills on the Cobra Simulator I have set up.

Just bring your own seat.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,

Thanks for the offer I got enough this weekend to last awhile - see Snakes to The Lake topic to be posted soon.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)