Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part 4- Footbox Rebuild

Part 4- Footbox Rebuild

The only thing left of the footboxes that gave me any clue as to there original shape and size was about a 1" strip where they were originaly bonded to the inside of the fenders. I had no idea of any other demensions purtaining to them. After a long search for photos on the internet, a trip to Knotts for the AHA show, and measurements off of a couple cars (thanks Phil G.), I finally got started. I used FRP board to replicate the shape of the footboxes.

Once I had things the way I wanted them, I put on my mask and started laying up the glass.

I made the tops for the footboxes separately and epoxied them to a flange that I fabricated around the upper edge of the boxes.

Some sanding and bondo...

And some Primer...

And TA DA! new footboxes.
    To be continued...

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Very nice work. Fast too.
    Someone has some serious glass skills!

What is up with that trans mount? I have heard of gussets but? And the plate mounted on the inside of the passenger footbox?

Brent

Good job of laying in the glass....bet the garage smeels good...

Rick

Rod I know what kind of a job that was, way to go. The best way to get fiberglass off your skin is cold water.

Alan

Hi Rod:

Wow, you must be so proud of you how your car is coming along. I wish I had the skills you are demonstrating with your build. It must give you a great sense of acomplishment to see the car evolve the way yours is.

Way to go and keep the photos coming. We love to see the progress of any build but especially yours.

Juan

Having seen those footboxes up close and personal.... I am impressed!!! Great job!!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Very nice, Rod! You make it look so easy!

Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, Putting the floor back together was a big job and I'm glad that its behind me. Still lots to do. Seems like I do a lot of stareing and planning and not so much doing, but it will all come together eventually.

Brent- The bracing inside the frame rails was added by the previous owner, pretty ugly huh. The plate that I think you are refering to was used to mount the E-brake. I plan to remove all of it and fabricate something else.

Rick- Yes, the garage smells bad- No Smoking Please

Alan- Thanks for the tip, but I wore gloves.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Nice work indeed! I wish the inboard top edge of mine where angled downward somewhat. Getting to the plugs and header bolts is a very difficult task.

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Great job Rod very professional and exceptionally fast. Really a clean job laying up the fiberglass. I am much impressed!

Ralph

MADONNA MIA

Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Rod--enjoy your pictures, as the little boy said,,I are impressed,I like the car color, this one is going to be pretty.Sit back, have a miller lite, and pontificate matters a while, you deserve it.Will-alabama

Rod - great progress, nice pics! I love to see good craftsmanship bring back a car that's had some rough treatment in its past. Keep at it!

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Rod...AWESOME JOB!

Is this still going to be the Flintstone Cobra now that you closed up the road access?

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Tony- Good point, I may have to revise the name slightly. But the plan is for horsepower and not footpower.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod, plenty of superlatives here and all well-deserved. I'm enjoying your rebuild threads immensely. Incredible work!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Question

Rod,

I hope you included the steel support for the brake/clutch master cylinders/pedal mount as well as the steering column which mounts to this same plate.

David

Yep

Of course he did! I have some stuff to do on our car once I pull the body ourself. Has anyone tried to put something to rest your left foot on whild driving?

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    Of course he did! I have some stuff to do on our car once I pull the body ourself. Has anyone tried to put something to rest your left foot on whild driving?
    There is a bump that comes in the clear the side vent, I rest my foot on that. It works well as a dead pedal. You could put a piece of diamond plate or something on it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Rod, Great job.

Have you thought about what you're going to use to cover your foot boxes? Next time, I'm not going to carpet the floor of my foot boxes and just carpet the sides. Haven't decided whether to leave the floor a white fiberglass like the originals or to use Rhino Lining. I'll probably use Rhino Lining on the floor because it's not as slippery as fiberglass and Rhino Lining has a softer feel and is less slippery than the other bed linings. If the floor is too slippery, it will be tiring to drive the car as your heel will keep slipping on the slippery floor. You need some type of material on the floor to grab your heel a little to reduce leg/ankle fatigue.

If or when you get caught in the rain, you'll be glad you don't have carpet on the floor. Drill a couple of drain holes in the floor to let the water out. If you don't use carpet, it will dry and clean easier. Just let the mud, etc. dry and then wipe it out with a damp cloth.
    Jer