Thread: Footbox insulation

Footbox insulation

Just a cautionary tale. I had some left over foil backed insulation that was supposed to withstand 450 degrees of radiant heat. Since I have no footbox insulation, I thought I'd give it a try. Thirty minutes into a test drive, I noticed that my right foot was getting mighty warm. Pulled the insulation out and noticed immediately that the innards were melted!! I contacted the Therm-tec technical people for some advice and they forwarded the following:

I recommend the new Suppressor
    Heat and Sound Mat Part#14620
    36"x60" sheet for under the carpet.
    I would use the Adhesive-Backed
    Heat Barrier Part#13590 24"x48"
    sheet for the outside of the floor.

I'm ordering some today and I'll let you know how well it works ...

Bob

I used this product between the fiberglass and the aluminum footbox heat shields, and included stand-offs to create an air gap.... stays cool with no problems. Do you have the aluminum? If not, I can see where it would melt.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Unfortunately, I only have fiberglass between my feet and the headers!

Bob

Well, in that case you will never want for a heater

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil,

You're not kidding! I'm happy if the soles of my tennis shoes don't melt

Bob

Our small block car was never run on the road, only fired in garages and run in the driveway before we bought it. Just that small bit of running without any insulation or aluminum on the footboxes but some heat bubbles in the glass. When we finish the car (after it comes back from paint...whenever that is) we'll have the aluminum and thermotec in place. Talking with the Weavers during our build I seem to recall Alan saying that you need the aluminum at least in the area of the headers to prevent the footboxes from damage.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

As usual, Alan is right.
    In just doing some tuning operation on my car, I had the fiberglass smokin' on the passenger side footbox!

Paul

Just a quick update:

I ordered the Thermo-tec heat barrier and Heat and Sound Mat from Summit last week. I received the heat barrier a few days ago and installed it around the footboxes. The Heat and Sound Mat was backordered and should be in later this week. I decided to road test the effectiveness of the heat barrier alone (actually it was an excuse to go for a long ride on a dry day) and I was very impressed with the heat blocking properties. The floor did get warm, but no where near the sole melting temperatures I was experiencing. While I was at it, I wrapped the hydraulic lines with leftover pieces and my final touch was to wrap the slave cylinder with about five layers of header wrap. I'm looking forward to driving next season with comfortable floor temperatures and hopefully cooler and more effective hydraulics.

Bob

Bob have you posted any pictures of your car, I would love to see it. Do you have the car Bob Parameter sold a couple years back?

Alan

I ran My car without any carpet or thermo-insulation only the aluminum heat shields and the heat was not noticable.
    Says alot just for a thin piece of alumiminum.
    Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Alan,

I bought my car from Bob Parmenter a while back ... I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will do shortly and I'll post them.

Bob

I finished installing the Thermo-tec Suppressor Heat and Sound Mat under the driver's side carpeting yesterday and then took advantage of the unseasonably warm and dry Northwest weather and took her out for a test ride. After an hour drive, the right side of the footbox next to the gas pedal was just warm enough that I could put my hand on the carpet and feel just the slightest amount of warmth. Compared to the foot burning temperatures that preceded the insulation install, I'll declare this effort an overwhelming success! I still have enough product to complete the passenger side next.

Bob

THIS IS THE THERMO TEC HEAT MAT 2000 deg
    MIKE

I insulated the inside with Super Insulator Mat about 1/2" thick and used the Thermo tec on the outside of the foot boxes. Never felt any heat.

Brent

i understand the insulation on firewall and tunnel but do most put the heat barrier on the floor and rear bulkhead behind the seats? does it do anything noticeable there? jim o.

Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

There is really no need to put it on the bulkhead that I am aware of... unless those rear tires start to melt from excessive horsepower being delivered to the rear wheels

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Easier to work with than jute if you want padding under your carpet.
    No fuzzie fingers

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS