Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY!!!

FINALLY!!!

Saturday was the Day
    My 1st drive
    Still speechless
    But a picture is worth a 1000 words.
    One question now that it driving What is the best way to wash it???

Rodney

Rodney,
    YOU GOT IT DIRTY???

Congratulations on the first drive! Nothin' quite like that feeling...

Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

quote:Originally posted by TAGCAVE

One question now that it driving What is the best way to wash it???

Rodney
    rodney,
    by hand, carefully. enjoy. later, brian

Rodney,

Congratulations! There is no other feeling that I can think of that compares to that first drive, (well maybe one )

As for washing yor baby... that is something I feel is a personal preference, however, I will offer a couple of suggestions for which I will most likely be chastised for. I don't have weather stripping around my hood, so I cover the engine and compartment with a blank (I used plastic the first time and that was a hassle). Lay a towel in the foot box beneath each of the windshield post because water will seep in. I lay a towel over the rear bulkhead to try and keep the carpet somewhat dry... and so on. You will figure it out. As for the ingredients... I just use soap and water [:O]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Stay away from the dishwashing soaps, they are made to remove grease so they also strip wax and are very hard on paint jobs.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Looks Great!

Don't wash it.Dust it.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Im sure I will hear a bunch of Crap. But this is what I do use my California duster first then use Windex very liberally to float surface crud (I even use it on bugs.) Wipe it with 100% cotton (even stitching) towels. Then I spray Mothers California Gold ShowTime spray. Wipe it with same type of towels. The Windex strips the previous "Showtime" off so I don't get any accumulation of it. No hose no water. Don't drive in the rain either if I can avoid it. In five years I have waxed the car twice.

Ralph

Rodney you must have burned the midnight oil Friday, your car looks great. Bring it by the shop when you get a chance.

Alan

Ralph,
    No crap from me. California duster and non-static plexiglass cleaner.
    Discovered it to be good for fingure prints and now just use the two.
    I haven't waxed yet as my painter wants the car for a final polish.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Looking good![^]

Rodney, we use a variation of Ralph's method. Go over car with the duster, then liberally spray the car down with pure water from a Windex-type squirt bottle. Rub each panel down with a damp cloth, followed by a drying cloth to prevent spotting & streaking.

We go over the cars every so often with Meguiar's Quick Detailer (I think that's the name of it?).

Best piece of advice I can give is this: wash/clean the car IMMEDIATELY after completing your drive! Not only are bug guts etc. easier to clean off when they're fresh, but it doesn't give them time to damage the paint. I like 3M Glass Cleaner (alcohol based) for cleaning the glass & chrome - it seems to leave less streaks than Windex.

Windex works well for wiping grime, etc. off the footboxes, firewall, etc. in the engine bay.

Speaking of - be sure to post some engine pics! Didn't you go with a 385-series big block? (Sorry if I've got your engine confused with someone else!)

Mom & Dad are out of town; I'm sure he'll be excited when he gets back and sees your photos!

Zach Butterworth
    Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
    (Mom & Dad's 427)

Rodney:

Buy some 3M microfiber detailing towels. Get one towel wet and store it in a sealable freezer bag. Keep one dry. Keep both in your trunk.

When you are ready to wipe your car take the damp one and go over the surface of your car with it and then follow that with the dry one. I garantee you that you will never use windex again or soap on your car's surface.

Juan

First drives are always exciting!

Tip: Any automotive paint supply store will sell a roll of the product used to seal the fire wall on production cars. Buy some and seal the windscreen posts and firewall from the inside so you don't see it.

Wash: Use only towels and products made for automotive cleaning. I use Griots products. I don't worry much about the carpet getting a little wet since I vacuum with a wet/dry vac as soon as I am done. To dry the motor, I use my leaf blower!

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Wish I could input to the cleaning topic.
    My 427 is matt finish alumminum paint(high metals content)
    I use 'Prime Wipe' from Dupont.
    For my regular car I do the same as Phil, car shampoo
    and water...dry with 100% cotton cloth.
    Can't carry wet rags around up here...they freeze.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

I saw this tip over on CC and it works great. Use 3" wide masking tape around the cockpit area to keep water from running in.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Rodney,
    I use a California (cotton) duster followed by Griot's Speed Shine, applied by and buffed with Griot's Micro fiber cloths. Everything avaiable through www.griotsgarage.com. Their stuff is really nice and works really well. They also have great wheel and rubber cleaners. I've never put water on my car body.
    Walter

Beautiful car! With silver, I've never had to do any serious washing either. I just put the tonneau on, hose and dry, no soap ever.........even after a serious rain-storm.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Thanks for all the advice some great ideas!!

Zach, yes I have a 460 I only have this picture of the incomplete engine bay, I will take some more later.

Rodney

RODNEY DID YOU FIND AN AIR CLEANER TO FIT.
    LOOKS GOOD
    MIKE

WASHING THE COBRA IS NOT FUN WATER GOES EVERY WHERE. THE WATER ROLLS BACK OFF THE FRONT & REAR FENDERS IN TO THE SEATS. I SEE THE REASON FOR INDOOR OUTDOOR CARPET, THIS WAS MY SUNDAY PROJECT.
    RODNEY PICK A WEEKEND AND WE CAN GO BURN SOME FULE.

A tonneau cover makes it easy, but then you have those dreaded snap studs........... Marine upholstery guys are really good at making them fit right, since they do more complex boat designs all the time. For those who care about such things, it's also "historically correct."

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD