Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FINALLY!!!

Okay.. I admit it... I've been a soap and water guy all my car-washing-career... but this thread has changed that. It's a pain to use water on these cars. So, without starting a pissing match with all these different alternatives, is the a majority consensus on what works best?

I know everyone has their favorite alternative and product, however, are their any converts?
    BTW - Greehouse... that is a beauty!!! [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil- evertime I've seen your car it was spotless (even underneath)and I've been under your car. you must be doing something right.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Thanks, Rod.... but if there is an eay way, I want to know about it

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Hey Clay,
    That photograph looks familiar.

Mike Car looks good!

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

quote:Originally posted by pgermond

Okay.. I admit it... I've been a soap and water guy all my car-washing-career... but this thread has changed that. It's a pain to use water on these cars. So, without starting a pissing match with all these different alternatives, is the a majority consensus on what works best?

I know everyone has their favorite alternative and product, however, are their any converts?
    BTW - Greehouse... that is a beauty!!! [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)
    Phil the tape method works great. I didn't explain it very well so - You apply the tape to the cockpit edges with about 1 1/2 inches sticking up above the body - that forms a dam that keeps the water from running into the cockpit area. It adds about five minutes to the washing time and saves using a wet vac to get the water out.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Mike I am using the edelbrock air cleaner, still can't find anything else to work.

Would love to take a drive but got to get a tag and a wheel alinegement maybe next weekend.

Rodney

Randy,

I like the sound of the tape method, however, seems like us soap and water guys are the minority. Guess there aren't any converts... everybody must be satisfied with their own preferred method. [?]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Rod--she,s a beauty, ya,ll have the washing thing down, Wayne Hill in anniston can align it for you. Has a long haired old boy in there, I thought o sh--, started talking with me and wayne, looking at unique specks, heck, i got out of his way. Went back to pick it up, old long haired boy wanted me to drive it first to see if it guided right, before he would let me pay him. Best it has ever been aligned. Hill,s brake and alignment north anniston. Tell,em I told you.Car looks great, can,t wait to see it. Will-alabama.hill,s front end and brake service 3900 pelham rd. 237-3851

Rodney, I am a great believer in wax. I once asked how a fellow autocrosser maintained the beautiful finish on his car. He steered me onto his wax philosophy and I've been a believer for the past 20 years.
    If you have a proper wax finish on your vehicle dirt, bugs, road tar, etc do not stick to anything but the wax and are easily removed with a clean sponge and cold water flowing over the surface. A water blade and/or chamois then finish the job. Cold water and gentle rubbing remove little wax so your finish looks great for several months. I have not used soap, car wash or any detergents on my cars since the early 80's. Between waxings a california duster and detailing spray are used perk up the sparkle. Use products heavy in Carnuba wax. I like Mequires products but have converted to Ibiz products a year ago.

- Geary

NO hose with soap and water for me.....[V]

Two buckets, one with 1 oz of a good quality car wash and 1 1/2 gallons water. One bucket with 1 1/2 gal clear water.
    One 3M Microfiber in the soap bucked, one in the clear bucket.
    Go over the car with the very light soap and water, washing out the cloth frequently.
    Then go over the car with the clear water and cloth, it will be just good and damp not dripping.
    I wax mine once a year.
    Only when it's really dirty do I use the soap and water, maybe once a year. The rest of the time it's clear water and a microfiber cloth.

Rick

Rick--got caught in Newnan ,Ga. one of those dern hurricanes back in the summer, top off, me and old Joan soaked to a frazzle, bath tub car, water sloshing in footboxes, dirtiest car you ever saw, Water slosh back and up britches leg , feet-shoes soaked, drove 40 miles back to the house, changed cloths and cleaned up as per your routine--we did vacuum the tub well and areated the vehicle. Get a good laugh out of the tale now. Will-alabama

Will drill a couple of 3/8 inch holes at the low spots in each box lift the carpet a bit when you drill. No need to drill through the carpet for the holes to drain the foot boxes

Ralph

Ralph--yep, finally got around to it, and she drains now.But we don,t get wet too often.Trees are beautiful here, had some good frost last week, go to urologist next friday 11th, annual exam threw an elevated psa, 7.4, will get checked further.Not had little red car out for weeks now. Will-alabama