Thread: RADIATOR HOSE INSTALLATION

RADIATOR HOSE INSTALLATION

i documented my radiator hose installation on a word doc to help future builders. when i tried to attach this doc to my post i realized that word docs are not accepted on the forum. it is photos and text 693kb in size. is there another way to post this?. thanks, jim o.

Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Jim- You can copy and paste the text, but you will probably have to attach the photos separately.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

ok, here goes. no 2 cars are the same so treat this as a typical example rather than an exact procedure. if this is not a good use of the forum, let me know. jim o

INSTALLATION OF RADIATOR HOSES ON FE MOTOR

OBTAIN 15” OF 1 ¾”DIA T304 STAINLESS PIPE (ONLINE METALS.COM). PRICE INCLUDING SHIPPING IS ABOUT $30. LOCAL MUFFLER SHOP HAD THE THE 2” DIA. PIPE AND THEY CHARGED $30. INCLUDING THE BENDING AND FLARING OF THE ENDS. WALL THICKNESS OF PIPE IS .060” AND IT IS WELD-SEAMED. IF YOU WANT TO POLISH TO HIGH GLOSS USE T316 STAINLESS.

THE HOSE NUMBERS FOR TOP ARE GATES 20957 OR NAPA 7694 (1 ¾”)
    THE BOTTOMS ARE GATES 21305 AND 21943 OR NAPA 8016 AND 8633 (2”)

TOP HOSE

CUT THE 7694 HOSE PER ABOVE DIMENSIONS. MAKE SURE TO FLARE ENDS OF PIPES AT THE MUFFLER SHOP.. POLISH PIPE USING A BUFFER AND COMPOUND.

BOTTOM HOSE

CUT THE 8016 HOSE FOR THE RADIATOR END. CUT THE 8633 HOSE INTO 2 PIECES FOR THE WATER PUMP END AND JOIN THEM TOGETHER WITH THE 4” PIPE. YOU CAN LEAVE THIS HOSE AS ONE PIECE AND ELIMINATE THE 4” PIPE BUT THE HOSE WILL KINK SLIGHTLY. THE PIPE ALLOWS YOU TO MANIPULATE BOTH ENDS OF THE HOSE.

TRIAL FIT USING A LUBRICANT FOR EASY REMOVAL . MARK HOSES WITH WHITE INK TO REMEMBER THE ORIENTATION (WHITE-OUT INK PEN USED FOR TYPING ERRORS WORKS WELL.

REMOVE LUBRICANT, FINAL ASSEMBLE WITH CLAMPS AND CLEAN OFF MARKINGS. CUT 2 PIECES OF LEFT OVER 2” HOSE APPROX. 1” WIDE. SLIT THEM, AND PUT SILICONE ON THE INSIDE. FIT THEM OVER THE PIPE ON BOTH SIDES WHERE THE PIPE PASSES THROUGH THE FRAME TO ELIMINATE RATTLES.

Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Jim O,

Nice details. Great for future and existing builders.I like the muffler shop beads. I brazed my beads on before powder coating.
    looking good!

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Good information, will save alot of time for the new builders.
    Very good illustrations[^].

Rick

Jim, great thread, I am in the process of doing a complete flush, thermastat change to 180 deg and while I am at it, replace all the hoses, because I dont know how old anytrhi9ng is in this car...I am the new owner.
    in looking at your hose callout, I called around, and these gates #'s seem to be no good...GATES 21305 AND 21943.
    Any idea of what is up with that?
    Thanks
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Nicely done! My radiator is the opposite of yours (in and out). I used steel exhaust pipe and painted them. With a corrosion additive, I have had no problem. Although, SS is a better idea and if I ever have to replace them, I will. I would imagine aluminum would work well if you could find it. Beading the end of the pipes is a must and glad to see you did it! Have them Mandrel bent if you want them to look extra sharp!
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

I also recommend the short four inch piece of pipe not only to keep the kink out but it will keep the hose from collapsing on acceleration.

I have a friend that has another brand Cobra and he is having a lower hose closing on him.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Smile

ya tony. that was part of a carefully thought out plan on our part. right?

i think i got the gates numbers from unique manual but i had napa cross reference them so maybe just use napa is best. also while on subject, i replaced the 4" straight piece on the lower hose with a neat electric thermostat for my puller fan from alumard.com. it measures coolant temp as water comes back into the block and sets fan on at 180 deg. works great in conjuction with engine thermostat. there is a picture of it in thread THERMOSTAT 406 FE.
    jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi