Thread: Part 6- Rear bulkhead, pillar braces and seatbelts

Part 6- Rear bulkhead, pillar braces and seatbelts

The next item up for fiberglass is the area from the trunk to the rear bulkhead. This was cut away when the bulkhead was cut out and needs to be reconnected. But before I do that I need to reattach some braces that were partially cut off. These braces were added to the top of the lock pillars, routed through the rear bulkhead and through the front part of the trunk and were then attached to the frame. The next two pictures will explain this better.

The two curved round tubes in this picture used to extend down to the frame.

This picture shows the route the brace takes in getting to the lock pillar

I cut some short pieces of tubing, made some flanges and welded it all together.

I then located a spot on the rear frame rail to attach my seat belt harness to and cut slots through the upper edge of the bulkhead for the webbing to pass through.
    The information I have on the harness attachment point is that it should be shoulder height or slightly higher. The point at which the harness goes through the bulkhead is correct but the actual attachment point to the frame is much lower. I thought that in a worst case the webbing could tear through the fiberglass or be damaged and fail. My solution to this was to fabricate a bar that attached to the frame (via the earlier repaired braces) and aligned the seatbelt webbing with the bulkhead slot.

Welded together - passenger side

Harness routing- through bulkhead, over bar, and down to frame.

Hopefully none of this will ever get tested, but it was easy to do at this point and I feel better knowing its there.
    To be continued...

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

I stopped by Rod's this weekend to take a look-see at his project. Looking at it a few months ago and viewing it now illustrates that he knows what he is doing. This car has finally landed with someone who will do it proud.

Nice work Rod [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Phil.

I forgot to mention that I set the motor in place to see how it fits.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

What kind of seats are those in the picture showing the belts?

Justin

Justin- The seats came with the car so I can't tell you a brand name. I'm sure they are not original. I'll see if I can find any info on them.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

It's hard to tell by the picture, but these look like (ironically enough) Cobra seats. (Cobra brand, although it sure is fitting here) Check out this link under the 'classic bucket'.

http://www.autotoystore.com/cobra.html

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian the Cobra seats don't have the seatbelt cut out. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

The back looks different than a Cobra seat as well. I pick up my car next month and want to have a second set of seats for doing track days and those caught my eye. I really like the Kirkeys but the ones in the picture look better finished than the Kirkey.

Justin

Agreed, I missed the seatbelt cutout, probably not Cobra.

Brian Carlson

Seat discussion aside, the main point here is that Rod is doing a hell of a job with this car. I really like the additional bracing going down to the door posts. Nice work, I'm very impressed.

It feels good to know that the Spence car has a partner in 'restoration'...Ours doesn't hold a candle to this car though!

Brian Carlson

Rod,
    I remember when the add for this car first showed up over at CC and the FFR forum. It's funny how the amount of work needed to get this car back in shape was never mentioned. And, if I remember right it sounded like the parts just needed to be reasembled. Well so foar you have done one hell of a job!
    I was showing my neighbor your footbox rebuild just last night after he discovered he was going to have to cut the new fiberglass top he just got for his car. Turns out a Lone Star 32 body may be a little longer in the cockpit than they claim. Anyway he felt like his project was managable after seeing what you have done with this car. So, your project has already served as motivation and as a pick-me-up for one car builder.

Justin

Justin- Your right about the CC ad, the fellow that put the ad together talked about all the good things on the car but left out alot of the other information. To be honest with you, when I first looked at the car (another good story maybe for later) I was so set on buying it that I overlooked alot of stuff too. No regrets though.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,

You are awful guiet this weekend.... what are you working on [?]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil, Your suppose to wait for me to post it, but since you asked, I’ve had my head in the trunk of the cobra sniffing fiberglass fumes all afternoon. I’ll try to get some pictures up later.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.