Thread: unique vs FFR

unique vs FFR

Hello all, I am hoping some of you could help me shed some light on the differences between unique and factory five. my plan is to build a 427 roadster with no donor parts using a 427 FE side oiler and top loader. I am deciding between unique and FFR, the factory five seems to use a substantial frame, but I keep hearing that the unique has a better fit/finish. I live in barrington hills IL, a suburb of chicago, I would love to see one if anyone is near me. Thanks for any help you can offer

I think if you use the FFR without donor parts you will spend more $$ than you will on the Unique. I went through the same exercise and I'm glad I built the Unique. I'm also sure if you ask this question on the FFR site you will get the opposite answer. Try to look at them both - you won't have any trouble deciding which one suits your needs best - unless you have your heart set on a perky butt

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

They really are an apple and an orange to compare. I have a neighbor that just finished a FFR and was able to follow my build closely and he has even gone as far as to call Alan Weaver and let him know if he builds another one it will be a Unique for sure.

Look closely and you will be convinced

Brent

do you think I would spend more $$ on a FFR without donor parts? I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I would spend on the FFR by the time I was done with it

Ed, this is a pretty classy forum, and we don't like to get into criticizing other brands around here. I would suggest you go to Club Cobra www.clubcobra.com and use the search function to find pictures of both brands, as well as Kirkhams, ERAs and Shelbys. Study the pictures closely, and you'll see differences, especially in the area of the rear haunches. After that, decide what you like best.

It is true that the Unique Deluxe Pallet is much more complete when it comes from the factory. So if you use all new parts to finish an FFR, it wouldn't surprise me if the cost is greater.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

ed65,
    Are you a bodyman?
    There is alot to due on the FFR. I know a guy who after 4 months of hard labor on his gave up and sent it to the bodyshop.
    Fit and finish is great on the Unique.
    But you have to make the decision yourself. Go to a local club meet if you can, better yet a kit car show and compare cars.

At the last grease up I was at, the FFR guys said they had about 400 hours in there build. Unique is 100 to 120 hours.

Tony

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Huh?

You mean I could have built our Unique in 100-120 hours? I think we have those FFR guys beat by a mile!

In all seriousness Ed, there are pros and cons to every build. There's a lot of aspects that I like about the FFR from techno-geek standpoint and there is a lot to love about the Unique as well. There are a lot of manufacturers that come and go in this business, and to have been around since the 70's Unique clearly has a good product.

For me the joy was (is) in the build, and the completeness of the Unique was actually a detractor. I (and a couple others around here) found some 'diamonds in the rough' on which to satisfy my need to really get into the build as well as get all the benefits that come with Unique...The best of which you have already found - the people.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

I appreciate the info, and I am not trying to get anyone to "bad mouth" the FFR, from what I am hearing, the unique car is a more accurate replica than the FFR. The build time does not bother me, building the car is a big part of the fun. I am simply trying to figure out the differences in the car after they are both put together.

ed65, you really have to get to a local club or a show and put the Cobras you are interested side by side. I put my Unique next to a Thundercarraige Cobra and then I could see alot of differences that i didn't see when they were by themselves. And I really liked the bodyshape of the Thunder Carriage but there were big differences in the cars.

quote:Originally posted by nolastyankee

Huh?

You mean I could have built our Unique in 100-120 hours?

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car
    Yours and Rod's car don't count! Somebody created more work for you guys.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Ed, for your benefit, NoLastYankee bought a derelect Unique that had been badly abused and sitting out in a field for years, and is bringing it back to life. Needless to say, his experience is quite different than buying a new Deluxe Pallet.

I happen to think the Unique body is more accurate, but obviously FFR has created a formula that has sold a bunch of cars.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I would love to be able to compare the cars side by side, does anyone know of any upcoming events in the midwest where I may be able to do that?

Ed,
    Take a look at this thread. Some of your questions will most likely be answered here.
    http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp...ms=FFR%2Cframe

As far as cost goes, if you do an FFR with IRS and no donor parts you will spend just as much as any other car.

Justin

Where exactly in the midwest? We might be able to hook you up.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

There is a very active group in you area, the Windy City Cobra Club. You can find them on Club Cobra in the Club Section (WCCC) and at their website http://windycitycobras.com/

FFR is what got me started in this 'hobby'. I spent some time, decided what I wanted in a car. It came down to FFR and Unique. You know what I own! Both are good cars with a very different approach. Apples and Oranges really.

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

ED65.
    I'm sorry, but I have to bring up the point you made about the FFR
    frame being 'substantial'.
    From the front axle to the back axle, you may be right.
    BUT...what do you have after that....1 x 1 box section bracing.
    Sorry...but I can't come to grips with a car that has its gas tank
    'protected' by just tubing and glass fibre.(same at front.)
    Also have you ever seen how much torsional twist you can put
    on a FFR glass body before it gets bolted down.
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Cheers....Mike

Mike Geddes

Check out resale prices on both FFR and Unique on CobraCountry.com and ClubCobra.com. That could be a factor in deciding which to build.Also check with insurance, I have heard some will not do factory five models unless built by a professional shop like Levy Racing.
    Eric

I have noticed a great deal of variance in resale value of the different kits and ffr seems to be towards the bottom of the scale in that respect.
    As far as "where in the midwest", I live in Barrington hills Illinois which is a suburb of chicago.
    Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Ed, There are two big events each year for hand-built autos. One at Knotts Berry Farm in So. Cal. and another in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Might be worth it to you to check one of them out. Knotts is only a few miles from Disneyland.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

In fairness, there is a lot of variance in Unique resale value as well. Generally speaking, the level of "historical correctness" to original CSX cars determines resale value in the Cobra world (e.g. 427/428 FEs or 289 on FIA cars, 4-spd. toploader, correct pin drives, Jag/Salisbury rear end, etc., etc.). It is easier to make a Unique more historically correct, because the bodies are more accurate, and more original-type components come with the car.

That level of detail also requires more money. As in all things, the more you put in, the more you get out. However, I'm still a strong believer in building whatever you want to enjoy and what is important to you. Worrying about resale value is not what you should be concerned about.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Ed:

About 18 months ago, I was in the same position you are in now. In my research I looked at ERA, FFR, Unique, Kirkham, Superformance, Back Draft, and a few others made in California (close to home).

In the end, I decided on the Unique for many of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread, plus the reputation of the Weaver's. I had read numerous comments in this and other forums about how they treat they customers both before and after the purchase.

I can't say enough about how responsive they are in assisting you in the build. Even now I call or send an e-mail to Alan if I cannot find the answer in the forum. I have never been made to feel that I was taking him away from something more important than my call.

They truly treat you as part of the family.

Stan

427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA