Thread: Chapter 14.2 - The Body Shop Continued

Chapter 14.2 - The Body Shop Continued

All,
    I am breaking up the photos from the body shop to reflect progress. This is installment 2 from several weeks ago.

I went to visit the car this weekend, here are some shots of the progress. The other fender flare is going on, but the modification work is more extensive to repair a bit of sagging 'glass from the cockpit installation process during manufacture. Enjoy!

Here is the passenger flare clamped in place, ready for lamination to the body.

This is the same shot from the inside. You can see that we cut a section out of the rear corner of the cockpit where the glass lamination didn't hold. This is not the only reason we did this modification, the metal bar holding the door latch striker protruded out into the cockpit. We'll set the bar back in flush once the flare is laminated in and the cockpit closed back up.

More views, this time the wheel well.

The 'glass master, doing what he does best.

Beginning the rouging process while the glass dries...

Here's the last change to the cockpit profile, we opened the rear corner slightly to improve the fit with our larger seats.

The cockpit taking shape.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian Carlson

You guys with this fiberglass work just makes my jaw drop. I'm envious!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brian,
    When you say that you are flairing the fender, what exactly are you doing that is different than the car out of the mold. I remember seing FIA flares as an option, but I have never really known what they are.
    Who made your Harrison tank bracket?

Justin

Justin,
    The difference is subtle, but once you know what to look for, you'll see a car without the flare mods from across the parking lot. Look at the top photo in this thread, this has the flares installed, and the body shape contours outward into the fender flare right behind the door. Before this change, the body continues 1"-2" behind the door before flaring into the fender.

Here's a car without the flares. Again, focus right behind the door.

This difference is not big, but consider that the shape of the door on the FIA car was the direct result of the rear fender. They were 'cut back' from the 427 door shape due to the intrusion of the rear flare. Again, the flares are subtle, but to me they make the look.

As for the filter/Harrison bracket, my Dad made that up.

Brian Carlson

Justin and All,
    Here are images of the body with and without the flare modifications.

As molded:

Flare added:

Brian Carlson

I see. The change makes the door area look more like it does on the ERA version of the FIA. I think this is an option from Unique, but I didn't know what it was.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,
    Yes to both of your comments. The flares are an option from Unique, and it does make the car look more like an ERA, which looks actually like the original FIA flares. Slabside cars (original street 289's) didn't have the cut-back doors or the big fenders.

Here's and original CSX slabside car all 'raced up':

Note the doors are shaped like the 427 doors and come in just in front of the rear fender.

Here's Lynn Park's (Trigo wheels) original FIA car, CSX 2359:

Note the slabside front fenders and the cutback doors due to the protrusion of the rear fenders.

Here's another CSX FIA car, not sure if it was one of the original FIA's:

Note the difference in the front fender shape.

Brian Carlson

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Brian,

Thanks for the explanation on this... very informative . Did these come from Unique, or an aftermarket supplier? What is the cost?

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Our fender flares came from Unique...Not sure of the cost, but they might be a couple hundred? More than I thought they would be, that's for sure. If you buy them right off the bat I think that Unique will install as part of the deal...Don't quote me on that though.

Brian Carlson