Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor arrives in Alabama

Motor arrives in Alabama

I have enjoyed watching all the builds progress so much that I decided to do my own thread as well.
    The motor finally arrived in Alabama last week and Alan sent me some pictures for me to drool over. I think I sent them to just about everyone I know
    As far as the motor goes, it is a 424 cu in Windsor based small block. The internals are all forged pieces with an 11.25:1 comp ratio. After much debate, I decided to go with a hydraulic roller cam, but do the valvetrain with most of the parts the 5.0 racers are using to get more rpm without valve float.
    The heads are Avenger 227s with 2.08 in and 1.60 exh valves. The intake is a ported Super Victor, topped off with a 850 annular Mighty Demon treated to road race floats. I'm not sure exactly how much power the motor makes, but FPS has seen this combination with 10.5:1 comp make as much as 608 HP, but I will not have the advantage of a large carb spacer or drag race oil pan. If I had to guess I think 560-580 would be a good estimant. A trip to the chassis dyno will be made once the car is together for tunning and a RWHP number.
    Alan also sent me a picture of my FIA kit that the motor will go in. I can't wait until Dec 3rd, which is when I will be picking up my kit.

Justin

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Sweet !! Bet ya can't wait to hear it run!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Awsome Motor Justin, Do you think 560HP is enough? [:P]

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Awesome! She will be a screamer.[8D]
    keep us posted.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Just noticed you are an Upchurch.
    My brother is married to an Upchurch. Her father is originally from Nebraska. Any relatives in that state?

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Very nice!

Any flow numbers on the heads?

Brent

Tony,
    That I know of we don't have any relatives in Nebrasaka. However, my Grandfather had extensive research on our family history done about 15 years ago. From this research it looks like only one Upchurch, Michael made it over from England. So it is possible that we are related some how. Most of the Upchurch clan is in Georgia and the Carolinas.

Brent,
    This set of heads flowed 327 and 231 without a pipe. I had originally planned on using the AFR 225 head, but the engine builder gave me a deal I couldn't pass up on this set. The Avenger head is a re-cast Victor Jr. with some changes made to increase velocity when the runners are opened up. I don't have the cam specs in front of me but if I remember right the duration is 252/254 and the lift is 607/614 with the 1.7 ratio rockers. After I ordered the motor and the pistons were made I got a little nervous about the compression, so Troy coated the pistons which should help. I have a plate system for the car but after riding in Scott's Cobra at homecoming I don't think it will be used. Well, I might put it on, but only to use the purge vlave.

Justin

WOW!

My AFR 185 heads for the 408 only went 298/188 @ .600 lift. The "CNC" port job was weak at best and after another 30 hours on the bench they finally came around. Terrible job around the valve seats and a blunt edge at the exhaust guide.

You have a killer combination for a 2600 lb car. Should be fun

Brent

Brent,
    You did a heck of a job of cleaning those up,there magazine numbers are 277/191! We put a set of 185s on my friend's Mustang and they only went 273/182. He later switched his out for the AFR 205 once the turbo went on. What cam are you useing in your motor?
    How is your car comming along? I was a little surprised when I saw that you went with a 66' because I thought you were leaning towards a 68' body. But, yours will stand out more than a 68' because people are getting used to the Elanor look.

Justin

277/191 my butt. I only got 267/178 out of the box. I still don't get 191!!!

The cam is a Lunati. Very mild. 234@.050 and .530 lift. This will be a driver. Probably get more miles in a month than the Cobra got in 2 years. Honestly have not touched it and probably won't for a while.

Fell in love with the '65,'66 body style long ago but have never seen a "trick" one. I just can't deal with the whole "Eleanor" thing. Besides O' Carrol can kiss my behind.

Don't want to jack your thread.........Killer motor!

Brent

Brent--don,t think it is going to pu-r-rrr--just right.Will-alabama---we are still getting pictures of the tornado from your neighborhood, if we could harness one of those things-wow.

Justin--just realized, I have t0o go to gadsden today--will make it a point to go by to see your engine.Will-alabama

Justin--went by unique today, saw your engine, she,s a hoss. Flame-black car--we all been hooping about---well i,m going to give that little doll some credit, looked it over again,,under the hood.OOOhh man solid chrome everything. Whole eng. compartment is chrome.Awesome.Will-alabama

using the term "small block" to describe this motor is an oxymoron.

Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Justin
    After you put your air filter on, don't slam the hood. I've got an FIA with a 396W stroker with a Hurricane single plane intake and a 750 holly. The biggest air cleaner I could put on was a 14" dia K&N 2" high. Couldn't get enough air into carb to let engine go. Made some modifications and now have a 14" dia with a 3" high element. The more air, the more horsepower. These guys with the 427's and the little biddie air cleaners are loosing about 15 to 20 HP.
    Bob

Justin
    do a search on "air cleaners" and look at Super Victor Jr and Victor Jr Air Cleaner to see pictures of what I had to do. I've got a K&N extreme top I put on when I really want some air.

I will have to try your mod to get the air cleaner to fit. Chris is running this intake in a 427 body, and Alan told me hood clearance is the same, so it should fit.
    After talking to several people I decided to have Bruce Bunn paint the car at the last minuite, so I will most likely not get it until Janurary.

Justin

Justin,
    So, what will the color(s) be?
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Brian,

I have narrowed it down to red w/white, blue w/white, or silver w/black. Whatever color I am stuck on the day Brice buys the paint is what it will be. When he buys the paint I will post the color. Alan said mine would go to paint in the next couple of weeks.

Justin

Wink

Justin,

You will be very satisfied with the quality from Bruce whatever the color choice. I am partial to blue and white.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54