Thread: Overcharging - Low Beams and Front Parking Lights?

Overcharging - Low Beams and Front Parking Lights?

Trying to sqeeze in that one last drive of the season with the Chicago corba club and, after a great 80 mile criuse, we stop for lunch and I actually notice a "sizzling" sound in the trunk - basically the gel battery is overheating - overcharging was the consensus of the guys.

I try to limp back 40 miles to my house with one jump along the way but only make it 20 before the engine dies with a very weak battery. We swap the battery but no luck starting the car and the rains were threatening so went with my first (hopefully last) tow back to my garage.

In trying to start the car today, doesn't seem to be getting any spark. Also, I noticed the low beams and parking lights in the front are not working (high-beams and turn signals are???). I have been through the whole fuse panel - anybody see what I am missing?

Dave

Dave,

If, in fact, the alternator was overcharging (over voltage condition too maybe) it could have caused some fuses to blow. Check these first (I see you mentioned checking the fuse panel???). If you find some blown, I wouldn't swap in new ones before I had the alternator and/or regulator checked, either in the car, or at an auto parts store set up to bench check them for faults.

As more symptoms come up, let us know so we can add somemore things to check.

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Dave, Overcharging and a dead battery don't go together, your engine dieing from a weak battery indicates that the charging system is not working, however the "sizzling" battery sounds like a short in the system, check for pinched wires, since your lights are'nt working thats probably a good place to start. Good Luck.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Okay - did my checks today - no fuses that I could find - even checked the one on the headlight switch and fusible link.

Any fuse burried somewhere that I am missing?

Dave

Dave there are no hidden fuses, I would talk to someone at a alternator repair shop and see what he says. I can usually diagnose a wiring problem but this is different. If I had to guess I would say your battery has shorted out or the voltage regulator is bad, do you have a transpo regulator, we stock them if you need one.

Alan

Dave, Just wondering if you found out what was going on with your car?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Still working on it.....

I just talked with Alan on Friday and I am still working on debugging my problems. Returned my gel battery saturday and yes, confirmed that I had "boiled" the battery overcharging it. Great Auto parts guys gave me a warranty replacement battery anyway.

Might get to more electrical debugging this week now that the main electrical work for the week (christmas lights) are up and at least some of them are working. Lots of snow and cold in Chicago now so I figure I have until April to figure this out. Will post when I have an update.

Dave

I was going through some old posts and realized I had never closed this out.

Basically, the voltage regulator was bad and by "overcharging" it finally blew battery, headlights and MSD all at once. Surprised the headlight fuse didn't blow so I am changing that one to a lower one. Changed to the Tri-bar headlights (really like the look). MSD not being fuse protected was a bummer - anyone out there putting a fuse in the loop somewhere?

I added a voltage meter to the dash as a precaution next time.....

Car is back on the road - 130 miles this weekend with no problems. Looking forward to a great summer.

Dave

Is there a fuse in/on the headlite switch? Seems I've seen other forum references to one, but I haven't been able to find it on my car. I haven't tried to remove dash, but I've looked at switch from below and tried to feel up there, but cannot find or see a fuse.
    Walter

Unscrew the knob and drop your switch that way you don't have to pull the dash out. Glass fuse on the switch.

Dave, Glad your back on the road.
    I have tri-bars and you might want to go up 5 amps from the original fuse. They are very bright and draw more amps than the sealbeams. I am running a 25amp fuse.No problems now but I did blow the original fuse. I beleive the original was 20amp.
    At any rate take some spare fuses.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thanks Tony. Sounds simple enough that even I should be able to do it.
    Walter

We

carry tools, patch materials, fuses, in small zipup shaving kit. Came in handy last sat. night.But, can,t be ready for everything either, we have called rollback several times.Will-alabama

I just removed my original. It was a 15 amp and I replaced it with a 20 amp.
    Walter