Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vibration Resistor: Universal Joint

Vibration Resistor: Universal Joint

[^][^][8D]Just worked out a deal this week with Flaming River who makes the Unique steering u-joints for a Vibration Resistor. The reason all of us have a vibration problem is that there is no dampner between the Manual Rack and Pinion Steering and the steering wheel. Flaming River use to make a dampner that went in the center of the steering shaft, you had to cut the shaft take out a section then insert the dampner, did the job but a pain in the $ss. At the Steet Rod Nationals I approached them about this. They showed me a new concept, making the Vibration Resistor in with the U-Joint but they didn't have one to fit the Unique spline which is a 3/4"-48, both end's. Now we will have one, we have 6 on order that we should get in 4-6 weeks to try out. This will replace the u-joint that comes directly off the steering shaft (you need it as close to the steering wheel as possible), looks similar but is a little longer, approximately 1", will be nickle plated steel like the present joint, has thermoplastic rubber to absorb vibration and "road feel" from the steering system. Actual does a great job as there are some Unique Cars around with the old system. The short shaft that comes out of this joint will have to be replaced, needs to be shorter, and thats it. So it is pretty easy to do, about a 1 hr job. Price, Unique will have to give us a quote, but around 200.00 or less, need just the 2 parts, a Vibration Resistor U-Joint and a new shorter 3/4"-48 splined intermediate shaft. Keep everyone updated.[8D][8D] WWW.flamingriver.com

Eliminator

That's great news for 2 reasons, 1) since I just acquired my car a few months ago, I wondered if I was the only one wondering about vibration in the steering wheel, and 2) there's a fix on the horizon.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

That's great news for 2 reasons, 1) since I just acquired my car a few months ago, I wondered if I was the only one wondering about vibration in the steering wheel, and 2) there's a fix on the horizon.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

My whole dash shakes so bad I can hardly read the gauges when stopped. Maybe this will help.

My whole dash shakes so bad I can hardly read the gauges when stopped. Maybe this will help.

Speed it won't do any thing for you dash while sitting still. You must have one bad as cam if it shakes that bad. What is you idle speed?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Speed it won't do any thing for you dash while sitting still. You must have one bad as cam if it shakes that bad. What is you idle speed?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

This will actual eliminate all or most of the steering wheel vibration, Unique's FIA car has the old style dampner on it and they tell me it makes a difference. Most of your production cars and trucks have some type dampners on them. Some vibration you feel that you think is tires out of balance is actually vibration from the manual rack and pinon steering. After this gets going Maurice told me they will make this a permanent change in cars being built in the future.

Eliminator

This will actual eliminate all or most of the steering wheel vibration, Unique's FIA car has the old style dampner on it and they tell me it makes a difference. Most of your production cars and trucks have some type dampners on them. Some vibration you feel that you think is tires out of balance is actually vibration from the manual rack and pinon steering. After this gets going Maurice told me they will make this a permanent change in cars being built in the future.

Eliminator

GeorgiaSnake
    Looks like my motor is same as yours. Southern Auto. 396W Stroker, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Elgin Pro Stock Cam Lift Int. .320 Exh. .335, .050 Dur 238 Int. and 248 Exh. If you can understand all that tech stuff. When I first got the motor it ran great and idled smooth. My rear oil seal started leaking so I sent it back to Bill. When I got it back is when it really started vibrating. I plan to call Bill and see what it could be. Maybe they installed a different clutch or something. If you have the same motor, can you look between the harmonic balance and front of block there is a spacer about 3-4 inches long. Mine has a counter weight at the front end of it. My question is if the engine and crank are all balanced, why would their be a counterweight needed behind the harmonic balance?

GeorgiaSnake
    Looks like my motor is same as yours. Southern Auto. 396W Stroker, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Elgin Pro Stock Cam Lift Int. .320 Exh. .335, .050 Dur 238 Int. and 248 Exh. If you can understand all that tech stuff. When I first got the motor it ran great and idled smooth. My rear oil seal started leaking so I sent it back to Bill. When I got it back is when it really started vibrating. I plan to call Bill and see what it could be. Maybe they installed a different clutch or something. If you have the same motor, can you look between the harmonic balance and front of block there is a spacer about 3-4 inches long. Mine has a counter weight at the front end of it. My question is if the engine and crank are all balanced, why would their be a counterweight needed behind the harmonic balance?

GeorgiaSnake
    I forgot to answer your question. When the car came back from Bill's the idle speed was 1100-1200 rpms. I adjusted the fast idle screw down to 900-1000 rpms. It really didn't help much.

GeorgiaSnake
    I forgot to answer your question. When the car came back from Bill's the idle speed was 1100-1200 rpms. I adjusted the fast idle screw down to 900-1000 rpms. It really didn't help much.

An engine can be "internally" or "externally" balanced. An internally balanced engine uses a neutral balance flywheel and balancer. An externally balanced engine requires work on the flywheel and balancer counter weights. A Windsor can be done both ways. It depends on the stroker kit that was used.

If the motor was smooth and now has a vibration with all the same internals and externals you need to look into this.

Brent

An engine can be "internally" or "externally" balanced. An internally balanced engine uses a neutral balance flywheel and balancer. An externally balanced engine requires work on the flywheel and balancer counter weights. A Windsor can be done both ways. It depends on the stroker kit that was used.

If the motor was smooth and now has a vibration with all the same internals and externals you need to look into this.

Brent

Spd4me, something ain't right if your dash shakes like that. I'm running a rock and roll cam when it comes to idle: .540 lift and 108 lobe centers. My car rocks, but no effect on the dash or gauges. Does your car smooth out when you get up into the RPM range? If you have a balance problem, I think you should feel it pretty well when you get the RPMs up.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Spd4me, something ain't right if your dash shakes like that. I'm running a rock and roll cam when it comes to idle: .540 lift and 108 lobe centers. My car rocks, but no effect on the dash or gauges. Does your car smooth out when you get up into the RPM range? If you have a balance problem, I think you should feel it pretty well when you get the RPMs up.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Sound like a possible motor mount problem, would check that first.

Eliminator

Sound like a possible motor mount problem, would check that first.

Eliminator

After many months, we now have Vibration Resistors for the Steering on a Unique. Flaming River did make the 3/4"-48 Resistors and Unique has an inital supply. We have them going on three cars now and will drive some soon to see how well they do. I will post some pictures next week of the install. We are still working out the length of the new intermediate shaft. Maurice will be out of town next week so some time around the first of April Unique will have prices on them. Pretty easy to install, once the intermediate shaft length is worked out it would be a 30-45 minute install. You loosen the U-Joint attached to the steering wheel, while pulling on the steering wheel you can use a brass hammer or soft hammer and tap the joint loose from the steering shaft. Then the next shaft which is approximately 10 1/2" long is the intermediate shaft. It has to be removed as it will either have to be shortened or replaced. The Vibration Resistor is a u-joint with a rubber mounted vibration device mounted in one side of the joint. It replaces the joint attached to the steering wheel shaft and is 1 1/2" longer so thats why the intermediate shaft has to be shortned. The rubber side of the u-joint mounts to the steering shaft, 3/4" - 48 spline. You want the rubber vibration resistor as close to the steering wheel as possible in the series of shafts and joints. This allows for all the vibration to be removed before it gets to your hands. Nice looking unit and is finished the same as the existing Flaming River U-Joints. We think the intermediate shaft can be cut 1/2" off each end and the steering shaft cut 1/4"-1/2" of the splined end will work. Each car could be a little different based on how the steering column is mounted, probably 1/4" to 1/2" difference. Butch Capps has a 289 FIA and his is mounted and he will Road Test it this week-end, he also has one going in his 427 S/C car. Mine is ready to go in this week-end, but I have my dash out doing some windshield wiper work. I would guess total cost will be under $250.00.
    Now if your tires are way out of balance [V]this will not fix the problem, it will take the vibration out of the steering caused by the rack and pinion steering set up. Most all production cars and trucks have some type of device like this. Will keep you posted.

Rick