Thread: Installing an MSD igniton box

Installing an MSD igniton box

I'm installing an MSD ignition box in my car and am trying to figure out how to wire up the coil. I have a Pertronix Ignitor currently installed in the stock distributor and according to the MSD website, I disconnect all of the existing wires from the coil and hook up the MSD orange (+) and black (-) wires to the coil, then attach the MSD white lead to the Ignitor black lead and splice the MSD red lead to the Ignitor red lead and the ignition lead.

Here's where my confusion factor sets in ... the igniton switch wire (white) connects to one side of the Ballast resistor then another wire (also white) runs from the other side of the Ballast Resistor and is attached to the + side of the coil; there is another wire (yellow) attached to the + side of the coil that feeds back through the wire loom to who knows where ...

Do I just remove the ballast resistor, attach the MSD orange and black wires directly to the coil, connect the MSD red and white wires as described above and wrap some electrical tape around the connector end of the existing yellow lead? ... or is there a better way to hook this box up?

Appreciate any insights and recommendations

Bob

You nailed it. You don't need the ballast resister. Make sure you have a coil that is designed to operate at 12VDC. The ignition switch powers the Ignitor and the small red wire of the MDS box.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Thanks Patrick,

I have a slim grasp of any matters pertaining to electronics and genuinely appreciate your help.

Bob