Thread: Hemi-Thunderbolt?

Hemi-Thunderbolt?

Just spotted this ad on Ebay for the "one-of-one" Ford 427 Hemi Thunderbolt. Can someone shed some light on this engine? This is a revelation to me, as I have never, ever heard of this powerplant - at least never of anything like it making it out of Ford's engineering shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...97834648QQrdZ1
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

This is a new one to me Zack....the Boss 429s were a "semi-hemi" design but that valve cover in the picture doesn't look like a Boss. Timing isn't right either. I don't have $200K laying around anyway but would be interested in the real scoop too if anyone knows.

Phil Souza

Zach- update- found a web site with GOOGLE(looks like it's the same guy selling the car) that claims Ford built this as a one-off (that's why AF-X was so interesting) using their own castings based on MOPAR heads and an FE center oiler block. Valve covers sure look like MOPARS. Don't remeber hearing anything about this in the 60s so it must not have been wildly successful or maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Phil Souza

I don't know if I'm understanding your question or not, but here goes. The FORD 427 DOHC engine was a hemi. There were quite a few of these engines made for racing purposes.

Hope this answers your question.
    Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cowing
    I don't know if I'm understanding your question or not, but here goes. The FORD 427 DOHC engine was a hemi. There were quite a few of these engines made for racing purposes.

Hope this answers your question.
    You mean SOHC?

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

The SOHC motors I remember well but the engine in this guys T-Bolt has the spark plugs in the center of the valve cover so it's not a Ford cammer. They too were more of a semi hemi design...the plugs were off-set in the combustion chamber.

Phil Souza

Quote Originally Posted by souzape
    The SOHC motors I remember well but the engine in this guys T-Bolt has the spark plugs in the center of the valve cover so it's not a Ford cammer. They too were more of a semi hemi design...the plugs were off-set in the combustion chamber.

Phil Souza
    Phil:
    You're absolutley correct. I didn't read that eBay listing close enough (nor did I wait for all the pics to load). Wow, that thing really is rare! So rare in fact, that it's almost relegated to being a museum piece, because you're screwed if you break that motor or a cylinder head. I guess the old saying applies: if you can afford a car like, you can probably afford to fix it.

Wow - glad I wasn't the only one surprised by those valve covers when the photos finally loaded!

When I saw the "hemi" term thrown out, I honestly thought it was going to be at best a SOHC 427 or a Boss 429 swapped into a Thunderbolt copy, and playing on the current buzzword status of the "HEMI" term.

Thanks for the info y'all have given on this; definitely an interesting engine for discussion. In the same vein, if anyone knows of good book titles to look for on the subject of experimental engines, hi-po prototypes, etc., I'd love to hear about them. I'm continually amazed by the hardware Detroit had waiting in the wings in the '50s & '60s, and then intrigued by how/why many of these items either took 20+ years to reach the consumer, or never reached the market at all.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dickey
    I guess the old saying applies: if you can afford a car like, you can probably afford to fix it.
    Parts are no problem at all....all you gotta do is make 'em.
    Yeehah

If you read far enough down the listing you will find that the hemi heads and intake were Mickey Thompson items added to the 427.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Ford Thunderbolt was a factory built drag racing car. THE fastest factory car at time. The took a Fairlane and shortened the wheel base. One bad motherah. Saw one on Jackson Barrett last year. I think there are only one or two still around.

I saw one at Carlise PA a white one maybe, 7 years ago. It was really romping never forget it.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me
    Ford Thunderbolt was a factory built drag racing car. THE fastest factory car at time. The took a Fairlane and shortened the wheel base. One bad motherah. Saw one on Jackson Barrett last year. I think there are only one or two still around.
    Was it really a shortened wheelbase Fairlane? I've never heard that. I thought they were a standard wheelbase Fairlane.

the guy i bought the 428 i have in my car had an unrestored thunderbolt in his barn.complete with "not legal for road use" tags in the door jambs and everything. he had boxes stacked up on top of the entire car (picture that in your mind). asked him if that was his retirement fund, nodded his head and said "yup". later, brian.
    Last edited by brfutbrian; December 24th, 2005 at 05:31 PM.

The Thunderbolts were not altered wheelbase cars. There were 100 built of which around 60 still remain. The cars were not done at the Ford factory, but at Detroit Steel Tubing.

Go to this web site and you'll see history of Thunderbolt along with photos of shortened wheelbase cars. www.anglefire.com/hi/427/fairlane/

That probably won't work. Try www.thunderbolt.cc This is Craig Sutton's 1964 Ford Thunderbolt website.