Thread: Racing Oil

Racing Oil

Subject: Rotella-T Oil Metal Analysis

Valvoline VR1 20w-50w Racing Oil
    Does anyone use this oil? If so, is it supposed to be red.

Clois

VR-1 is no longer racing oil. They changed the color when they reformulated it to meet EPA regulations.

I now use Schaeffers.

Interesting little note I came across on the Comp Cams web site. Talking about the recent failure of MANY solid lifter cams from ALL manufacturers.

Turns out due to EPA concerns today's 'modern oils' are missing Zinc and Manganese. These ingredients are needed for camshaft break in. It HIGHLY recommended to use an additive, like the GM EOS, which DOES contain them. Especially during the cam break in period.

Now I'm thinking it's a good idea to use such an additive all the time? Bear in mind not all additives have Zinc and Manganese!

Read more here:

http://www.compcams.com/information...ryID=1985582846

quote:
    Originally posted by elric

you can use chevron delo, Mobil delvac, or Schaeffer's 7000 series in 10w30 or 15w40 weights. they all have the necessary amounts of zinc and phosphorous needed for flat tappet cams and they are very cost effective. check bobistheoilguy.com for chemical analysis on these and almost any other oil you can think of. this is a serious topic that warrants the attention of all club cobra members unless you're running a newer style engine that uses sl or sm rated oils.

Elric is correct. I was recently told that Comp Cams has been doing a lot of testing with Shell Rotella-T 10/30w & 15/40w and has had excellent results, in particular with solid roller setups. I'm sure flat tappets would benefit just as much. The other real benefit to these types of oils along with zinc is the anti foaming properties which helps to keep the oil from sudsing up and becoming aerated at higher rpm.
    http://www.rotella.com/

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=1
    Jer

Oil and Filter Articles

Jer

Valvoline VR1 20w-50w Racing Oil i"m still using it.

Jerry - do you really expect everyone to read those links you post? The Readers Digest version would be more palatable
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Of course. I expect you to read every word. I'll be passing out a test later so you better study hard.

Readers Digest version = use Mobil 1 extended or AMSOIL.
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; January 20th, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Jer

Came across Schaeffer Racing Oil on a web site that was analyzing various synthetic oils and additives. Schaeffer 20W-50 rated very well. Schaeffer 7000 also has two friction modifiers, Moly and Penetro, to reduce engine wear. Schaeffer produces several specialty oils, some used by in large specialty earth moving equipment, which require very effective lubricants, as well as the Racing Oil having good success in Nascar motors. I ordered a case for my 302. www.schaefferoil.com Have fun.
    289 FIA, #9299, Viking Blue, 302 HO, T-5

Royal Purple 51 sounds like a good choice as well or Mobil 1 extended 15w/50.
    Last edited by Master; January 16th, 2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Red face

I just ordered a case of the Amsoil 20w/50, Ouch!!!!
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54