Thread: Chapter 14.5 - The Body Saga Continues...

Chapter 14.5 - The Body Saga Continues...

Can I pick them or what?

When I selected a reputable painter for my '66 Mustang years ago, I thought it was simply bad luck that caused him to run into issues with the IRS about the time my car was dropped off. Two years of frustration and anxiety later, the car was dropped off at the builder's shop in the middle of the night, no message, no receipts, no questions, no paint. I was just happy to have it back.

The Cobra, at least, is making progress but the pace feels painfully familiar. Let me say here and now that the expected unveiling of the Spence car at Unique Homecoming 2006 will not happen. At this time I am almost wondering whether 2007 can be a reality! In all seriousness, we are planning to unveil the car at Pigeon Forge. The vacation time is booked, so we're committed. That all depends, of course, on whether there is an unsuspected visit to my painter friend from our dear pals at the IRS.

Over the holidays Dad and I went over to Tulsa to pull the body off the car since it is coming along so well. We needed the chassis to finish the plumbing and engine wiring so we can make our deadline. (Fingers crossed!) The progress looks great and we are super excited with the results.

OK, I'll admit that we have somewhat complicated the build process with all our changes. Like we say in my family..."A project isn't worth doing unless you can increase the complexity to the point that the original task is no longer recognizable". I think we have achieved our goal.

Take a look... Here's what you are seeing:
    • Rounded cowl and door edges
    • Inside of trunk smoothed for paint, not carpet
    • Inside of hood smoothed
    • FIA fender flares installed
    • Roll bar holes in trunk sealed up around 2" PVC pipe to prevent water from coming in. (Like this car will see rain anyway)
    • Weatherseal edge of trunk lifted so deck lid will sit flush with body
    Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal1.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	91   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal2.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	92   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal3.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	93   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal5.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	94  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal6.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	95   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal11.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	96   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal8.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	97   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal9.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	98  

Name:	Removal10.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	99   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal17.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Removal4.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	101  
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

For those that are interested in our work on the door striker, here are more pictures. Sorry about not being able to draw it up on CAD, but with the car-to-car differences and all the curves, it would be a bugger to both draw and fabricate from!

Here's some additional shots of the modification...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker4.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker7.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker8.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker9.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	105  

Name:	Striker10.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker11.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Striker12.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	108  
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Wink Mmmm....painters.....

Can't rush the artist, Brian. You can apply gentle pressure, augmented with subtle doses of praise and flattery, but the true artiste' will not be rushed.

I picked a guy of good reputation, well-known to the local street rod crowd. He was excited at the prospect of the Cobra, being different from the usual '32 or '34 Ford.

Gave him the body, on a nice rolling buck, on June 1. With promises that it would take "a month, at most a month and a half", I had the anxiety of being able to drive that summer.

I got it back on October 1. Snow covered the ground October 12.

In his defense, he did do a marvelous job. I would use him again, but with no illusions about time.
    Yeehah

True enough about the artist. My Mustang turned out beautiful after 2+ years, and the Cobra is going along the same way. I know that once it's done I won't remember the pain, but for now it's killing me!
    Brian Carlson

I had the same thing with my painter - great job but the estimating was way off. For a 6 week estimate, dropped it off end of June 2004 - got it back the week before Christmas 2004. He did a great job - seemed to put it to the side and work on it when he had spare time. It would kill me to stop in a night to see him working on his show car while mine sat in a pile of dust.

Turned out for the better - winter is a great time to take my time tinkering in the garage.

Can't wait to see yours - let me know when you make it up to Glenview (wasn't that the summer home of the Cobra?) to go for a drive.

Dave

Dave,
    The folks are in Glenview and the car should be there later this summer. Hopefully after Pigeon Forge. We'll let you know when it arrives!
    Brian Carlson