Thread: 1st "F" Up of build?

1st "F" Up of build?

Hello All...Was installing the aluminum up front and somewhere between measuring and cutting I came up roughly 1/8" short. So after some mourning, I said im goin for it and installed it. Besides replacing the aluminum would you think a trim piece of some sort in the middle would look allright or just leave it the way it is? I know there are TONS of anal retentive people on here that are freeking out right about now after reading this and would not accept anything but perfect, but unfortunantly I'm a "C" student...

Thanks, and 1 of MANY future post yet to come......Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070001.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070004.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070003.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	130  
    Last edited by cobracobra; January 7th, 2006 at 03:12 PM.

Mike, run a 1" to 1.5" W piece of alum. down the middle I think it will look better. You will have alot more "F" to go until you are done.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Mike, Your gap apears to be centered so a narrow piece of trim would be fine. I don't think that you will find many Cobra replicas out there that are flawless. Many have bolt or cap screw apparantly securing something which are in fact just a way of plugging a misdrilled hole. In my own 427SC is a small rectangular aluminum plate in the engine bay. It is about 1 1/2" x 3" with brushed finish and rounded corners. Secured by 4 small stainless cap screws it appears to be an important access plate. Actually it covers the one small area where I color sanded through the clear coat while I was building my car. No one ever asks about it. Keeping in line with the nature of the cars we drive, I've jokingly concidered adding a small nuclear symbol with the words "Danger" through the symbol. Don't beat yourself up-It will look fine.
    -Geary

If you cut that trim piece down the center the same width as the gap between your LeMans stripes it will almost look like a continuation of the stripe theme and you can tell people that it is an accent. (That's accent, not accident although both may apply)

Another thought, that aluminum is not all that thick and you are not dealing with corners formed in a brake. Hard to believe you can't pickup an eighth somehwhere...
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Wink

This reminds me so much of a tradition between my father and brothers and the houses that we've remodeled.
    When we get together with each other, it seems that we could never resist, while showing off our handiwork, also pointing out our f---ups.
    All of these were such minor things that wouldn't have been noticed by the vast majority of people.
    Even Unique has made a few "oops" in the manufacturing of the cars themselves. At least my car had a couple...
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cobracobra
    I know there are TONS of anal retentive people on here that are freeking out right about now.......
    HAHAHAhahahahahaaaa!

WHOA, Mike! Nobody here like THAT! You gotta go to the other sites to find them!

I'm with the rest...cap it and smile. I guarantee you will never see it when you're driving it - and that, actually, is what it is truly about.
    Yeehah

Mike, I know what you mean about struggling with the gaps. If it bums you out too bad, you can lay a thin piece of aluminum over the existing pieces and lose the gap all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00649.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00650.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	132  
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Another thought to cover your gap...I saw a car at Homecoming that used aluminum colored caulk in all the aluminum gaps in a finished trunk. You could lay down two strips of masking tape 1/8 inch on either side of your gap. Apply the aluminum caulk very evenly, then pull up the tape for a perfect edge.

Sounds good in theory, but I don't know how it would look. If you didn't like it you could always cover it with an aluminum strip.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Here is a shot of the aluminum trunk I referenced above...Those aren't welds in the corners, it's caulk.
    Last edited by nolastyankee; August 13th, 2006 at 07:07 PM.
    Brian Carlson

I appreciate everyone's input and as you can only learn from someone else's mistake....-Mike

You can also make a decorative aluminum plate with COBRA etched on it and secure it with buttonheads.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by cobracobra
    Hello All...Was installing the aluminum up front and somewhere between measuring and cutting I came up roughly 1/8" short. So after some mourning, I said im goin for it and installed it. Besides replacing the aluminum would you think a trim piece of some sort in the middle would look allright or just leave it the way it is? I know there are TONS of anal retentive people on here that are freeking out right about now after reading this and would not accept anything but perfect, but unfortunantly I'm a "C" student...

Thanks, and 1 of MANY future post yet to come......Mike

Here's a pic of the front of my car that I took today. If it helps any, I never really even noticed it until your post (I bought my Cobra used).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Try Installing Gromets In The Holes, They Come In All Sizes And It Will Give You Insolation Between The An Fitting And Your Sheet Metal.
    Mike