Thread: Re-designed Seat Cushions and Soft Top

Re-designed Seat Cushions and Soft Top

Thought you guys might like to try this.

I re-designed my Cobra seat cushions. I took the plywood bottom out of the seat cushions and had them sew cloth to the bottoms with a zipper for stuffing the foam. Then I had them sew Velcro to the bottom of the cushion to hold the cushion in place. Then I had them put denser foam in the seat cushion. The seats feel much more comfortable now and it doesn't feel like I'm sitting on a wood bench anymore.

I also made a bar to support the center of my soft top. I took some aluminum U-channel, cut it to length, and shaped each end to fit from the center of the top of the windshield to the center of the top's frame. Now the center of my soft top doesn't flap up & down as I'm driving. Makes it much quieter inside also. I also glued some of the same foam I put in the seats to the inside bottom of my soft top. I think it's going to seal it nice and keep the rain from draining under the back of the soft top and down behind my seats.

When I took it out for a test drive, I stopped into Ace Hardware to buy some bolts and a motorcyclist made a U-turn and came back to admire the Cobra. We had to talk about the car for about a half-hour. It continues to amaze me how this car is loved by so many people.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cushion Brace2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat Velcro2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Brace2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Center Brace2.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	184  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Sealed2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	185  
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; January 26th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
    Jer

Jerry,
    Do you have a problem with the side curtains popping outside the top at 60mph.
    I put some velcro on the top of the curtains and on the top and it does the trick.
    The flapping of the top does not happen all the time but it is annoying.

The top is great!
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,

No. My side curtains don't pop out. They fit pretty tight inside the outside edge of my top. My top has an inside flap that runs above and down the back of the side curtains. The curtain fits between the outside edge of the top and the inside flap. I have to lift the outside edge of my top to get my curtains between the outside edge and the inside flap.

The U-bar I made for the top sure cuts down on interior noise from the flapping at 70 mph.
    Jer

Jer,

Mine is set up the same way. I must be setting the tension to much. The flapping is not there all the time. My top has not been taking off and there is no flapping now but the side curtains popped out until a just install the velcro.
    post some photos of your handy work. Please
    Last edited by Naumoff; January 24th, 2006 at 04:21 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear