Thread: Tire Brands

Tire Brands

I have Dunlop 245/275x15's and just replaced one of the fronts, trying to eliminate a vibration at 60-70 mph. Looks like the new Dunlop is slightly different tread pattern and has a different sidewall look than my original tire bought through Unique in 1998. I want to replace all 4 to keep a matched set but keep same 15" Trigo wheels. What Tire brand should I get? All of my driving is on the street. As info, I've experimented with different tire pressures and settled on 26 in front and 24 in the rear. I also have installed steering dampner from Unique, but vibration is still there.
    Walter

Thumbs up

I have the Yokohama Avid S/T and have been very happy with them. Great rain tire, good ride and handling, and balance well. Do a search on here or clubcobra for Yokohama and see reviews. Have them force balanced on the rim and put tape on weights on both sides of the wheel and say goodbye to vibration!
    Eric
    _________

1992 Unique 427 #9114
    427 side oiler
    toploader

Mile High Cobra Nut

I'm running BFG T/A's, and the car goes down the road at 100+ like it's on rails. I've heard some horror stories about the T/A's.... maybe I'm just lucky.

The Yoko's are a good tire as well.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I'm thinking about tires as well, but 15" rims don't offer much choice. I have heard the Yoko's are good tires with very low road force variation from tire to tire. I have also looked at Hoosier Quick Time DOT tires.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Thumbs up Yokohama Avid S/T

I have seen them all, and this tire constantly out proforms the othe 15" tires.
    Best road force varation around. I have BF Goodrich, one of the four is good, the rest are junk. This would be my selection.....Just put them black sidewall out. YOKOHAMA and Cobra just dont mix, but the tire works!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Thanks for your thoughts. I just ordered a set ot Yokahamas.
    Walter

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.295/50 and 235/60 15". Very happy with tires. Stick good to the road. 2100 miles on them.
    Best rating from The Tire Rack. Better rating than Yoko's
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs down

15" tires...........bad deal

As many of you know, I have tried just about every tire avail and even 4 sets of custom made bias race design tires. The Yokos were , by far, the best "testing" tire we found. They were round, had a low RFV, and they are VERY cheap. I don't like the Yoko name any more than you do, but, it was the only tire that at 80 mph the steering wheel did not shake.

The run out and balance of the Compomotives were almost perfect.
    .003 and less than .5 oz.

I am not saying that there is not another tire that can accomplish the same results. We had trouble finding a set of 4 that would.

If you have 4 tires you are happy with ....STAY WITH THEM!!!

4 - round, low RFV, light balance, 15" tires are HARD to find.

ps. I gave up. The Mustang has 18" Goodyear Eagle F-1 Radials
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

I've given up on the BFGs too, despite Hunter Road Force Balancing and everything else. I was waiting for some miraculous new tire to show up, but it ain't happening.

I just ordered a set of Yoko Avid STs from Tire Rack, but they haven't arrived yet. This is one part of my winter-makeover, which includes a new clutch (McLeod) and aluminum flywheel.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I had Dunlop's on my 289FIA and a shimmy that wouldn't go away at 65 mph. Got a set of Yokohama Avid S/T's, and had them simply high speed balanced at a local shop (not even the Hunter ground force approach). No more shimmy.

Great tires. Got them drop shipped from the Tire Rack, and had them installed and balanced for $60.00 total. Great deal. Rickd
    289 FIA, #9299, Viking Blue, 302 HO, T-5

Brent , when will you post more pictures of your Mustang build ? I would like to see how you are progressing .

Traveler

My Yokohamas are installed and are great! No vibrations! Thanks to everyone who recommended them.
    Walter

Untouched since October

Traveler,

The Mustang still looks like it did 4 months ago. Have not touched it since it came back from media blast and the dip tank. Had an oppertunity to get on the chassis jig a couple of weeks ago but timing was wrong for me. I opened another RV lot Feb. 1st and just don't have the time.

I will post some pics of the chassis and suspension mods when I do.

Thanks for asking
    Brent

Sold Unique 427SC

Brent

yeah, let us know how the stang is proceeding.Will-alabama We may start another engine project soon, 351 w.

Brent , I understand what you mean about just not enough time . I travel overseas two weeks of every month . When I am home there is always something that has to be done .
    I picked up my car last August and have had only a few hrs. each month to work on it . I finally got it running this past week end and was able to drive it for only a few miles . Still have all the inside to do yet and today I am back in Indonesia .
    I hope to have it finished by the time the weather warms up but , time will tell .
    Hope to see pictures of your mustans sometime soon .

Rick

Thumbs up

Hey Will,

I do have the motor finished for the Mustang. Little 408" Windsor, Scat crank and Rods, Wiseco forged 9-1, AFR CNC ported heads, Lunati, Comp roller,Milodon pan, and a Stealth intake. ITs hard to believe how cheap you can build a Windsor stroker. No more $ than a SB Chevy anymore.

I will get a pic tonight and at least post that. (-:
    Brent

Sold Unique 427SC