Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clutch bleeding

Wilwood fluid is a bit more expensive. I buy it at a local speed shop, but it's readily available. I use wilwood in the clutch for two reason - the clutch line receives the most heat from the header and, IMO, the clutch is most critical, when it's gone it is gone.... whereas I have two sets of brakes (front & rear) to fall back on.

Maybe not the best reason, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.raceshopper.com/wilwood_brake_fluid.shtml
    http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=864
    http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...-EXP/index.asp
    Last edited by pgermond; August 20th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Wilwood fluid is a bit more expensive. I buy it at a local speed shop, but it's readily available. I use wilwood in the clutch for two reason - the clutch line receives the most heat from the header and, IMO, the clutch is most critical, when it's gone it is gone.... whereas I have two sets of brakes (front & rear) to fall back on.

Maybe not the best reason, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.raceshopper.com/wilwood_brake_fluid.shtml
    http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=864
    http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...-EXP/index.asp
    so, which wilwood are you using, the 570 or 600+...are they both dot3? Also, is that valvoline syntech fully safe for the entire system?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    so, which wilwood are you using, the 570 or 600+...are they both dot3? Also, is that valvoline syntech fully safe for the entire system?
    570 is more than adequate. But again, it is important to remember that all fluids deteriorate over time with contaminants and water. When that happens, the advertised boiling point steadily decreases. Your initially 570 degree fluid may become a 300 degree boiling point fluid after 2 years.

That's why old fluids tend to boil and be more problemmatic, and you rarely have a problem with new fluids right after the change. It sounds like your fluids were BEYOND old.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Quote Originally Posted by clayfoushee View Post
    570 is more than adequate. But again, it is important to remember that all fluids deteriorate over time with contaminants and water. When that happens, the advertised boiling point steadily decreases. Your initially 570 degree fluid may become a 300 degree boiling point fluid after 2 years.

That's why old fluids tend to boil and be more problemmatic, and you rarely have a problem with new fluids right after the change. It sounds like your fluids were BEYOND old.
    Yes, I understand about the old fluids and how they lose the boiling point as they age and absorb, thanks....me being a new owner of this car, I can only imagine what has and chas not been done!

So, is this 570 dot 3? and why not go with the 600?
    Now, as far as the brakes go...would regular Heavy Duty Dot 4 be good, or the Valvoline syntec?
    Is the reason for not using wilwood 570 in the brakes just the cost factor?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Yes, I understand about the old fluids and how they lose the boiling point as they age and absorb, thanks....me being a new owner of this car, I can only imagine what has and chas not been done!

So, is this 570 dot 3? and why not go with the 600?
    Now, as far as the brakes go...would regular Heavy Duty Dot 4 be good, or the Valvoline syntec?
    Is the reason for not using wilwood 570 in the brakes just the cost factor?
    I guess you can use whichever DOT3 you choose. I was simply suggesting that 570 is more than adequate, based on common experience, and 30 degrees is kinda round-off error. Some people buy premium gasoline when their engines only call for regular.

I would make sure your clutch line is insulated near the header
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,

Annapolis, MD

Quote Originally Posted by clayfoushee View Post
    I guess you can use whichever DOT3 you choose. I was simply suggesting that 570 is more than adequate, based on common experience, and 30 degrees is kinda round-off error. Some people buy premium gasoline when their engines only call for regular.

I would make sure your clutch line is insulated near the header
    Thanks, and I will be insulating that clutch line for sure!
    went underneath the car tonight and noticed the slave rbber boot is ripped next to the lakewood scattershield. Does it matter or should it be replaced?
    Dave

Wilwood 600 is DOT 4. The 570 is DOT 3.
    I use 570 in my HTOB and brakes.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Wilwood 600 is DOT 4. The 570 is DOT 3.
    I use 570 in my HTOB and brakes.
    thats good to know...so why not use the dot 4?
    Last edited by pbrown; August 24th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Dave

thats good to know...so why not use the dot 4?
    David,
    McLeod does not want you to use anything but DOT 3. From what I understand DOT 3 has a higher lubricity. Some DOT 4 high performance fluids will even eat the seals.
    The DOT 4 and 5 will not absorb moister. If you use them you should change them every year. Racers change hydraulic fluids after every race so it doesn't matter what they use. They push their cars to the absolute limit and want the higher boiling point of the synthetic fluids. We for the most part baby our cars.
    I change my clutch fluid every year anyway and this year I will change my brake fluid. Just because.

What ever you use, flush the system as much as you can with the replacement fluid. The cars system does not use that much fluid so cost per bottle really doesn't matter. A couple of bottles is enough.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    David,
    McLeod does not want you to use anything but DOT 3. From what I understand DOT 3 has a higher lubricity. Some DOT 4 high performance fluids will even eat the seals.
    The DOT 4 and 5 will not absorb moister. If you use them you should change them every year. Racers change hydraulic fluids after every race so it doesn't matter what they use. They push their cars to the absolute limit and want the higher boiling point of the synthetic fluids. We for the most part baby our cars.
    I change my clutch fluid every year anyway and this year I will change my brake fluid. Just because.

What ever you use, flush the system as much as you can with the replacement fluid. The cars system does not use that much fluid so cost per bottle really doesn't matter. A couple of bottles is enough.
    Thanks for explanation, but I believe the dot 3 and dot4 WILL absorb moisture, the dot 5 however will not.I also believe the dot 4 is a direct replacement for dot3 if desired wherever dot3 is required.
    I guess I will have to look into it further!
    The disadvantage to dot5 is that it does not absorb moisture, so the moisture collects in the caliper and will boil at 212 deg causing a vapor lock situation, another problem with dot5 is that it is compressable and will always have a spongy peddle!
    I found wilwood 570 for 4 and change a bottle if buying 24 bottles, otherwise 6 and change each.
    www.speedway.com
    they have all kinds of good stuff at good prices, even the motive pressure bleeder is 10.00 cheaper!
    Dave

I am trying to bleed the clutch line..I used a mighty vac on the bleeder on the slave. It sucked out the old dirty fluid out of the slave, but for some reason it will not drain the master cyl..I even disconnected the line going to the slave from the MC, and it wont even drain out by gravity, put the vac tube on that line and it WILL NOT drain the MC.Is there a check valve or something that wont let me drain the MC, I'm going nuts with this !
    any suggestions
    Dave

I don't know about the girling MC but the Wilwoods drain with no problem.
    Maybe you need a pedal pumper to help on this on right now.

The EXP 600 says not to mix with any other fluids. But I wouldn't mix fluids anyway just to be on the safe side.
    Tony

I used my female pedal pumper yesterday, worked out good, real mystery how this MC works though!
    Fluid was disgusting with all kinds of BLACK debris in the reserviuor, I sucked it out of the top, then I tried to wipe out the remainder with a rag but could not do a good job, finally, I just stirred up the whole mess with some new fluid, flushed about 2 pints of regular DOT3 thru it until it was spotless..about 2 hrs worth of pedal pushing pleasure...lol!
    I plan on ordering the wilwood 570 and just bleed some more to fill it up with the wilwood stuff, DITTO for the brakes...took it out tonight and it performed flawlessly!!!
    I would like to buy the Motive power bleeder, but dont know which one to get for the girling MC...anybody want to jump in on this?
    Dave

Cool, but you can probably just relax, enjoy the car for awhile, and resume bleeding next Spring. No reason to go overboard.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,

Annapolis, MD