Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch bleeding

clutch bleeding

i have the standard clutch hydraulic slave, lakewood bell hsg and ram clutch. i hooked up a pressure bleeder to the clutch master cyl and pumped it to 20 lbs. the fluid got to the exit fitting on the mc ( i know because it leaked) but i get nothing at the bleeder. i even cracked the line going into the slave and nothing. before i start checking the lines and unions for blockage, am i missing something?. shouldn't 20 lbs push fluid through even though i have the tank set below the mc? does the piston in the mc have to be in a certain position to allow fluid to pass through?.
    Last edited by twanita; October 8th, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

A blockage is unlikely, but not impossible - what happens if you pump (and pull) the pedal? Did you bench bleed (prime) the m/c?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

hi phil, no but i should have. i'm starting to get fluid through on the clutch and brakes but still a lot of air. i think i just have to be more patient remembering that everything was completely dry. also my pedal pumper (wife) is very impatient as the garage is cold. thx, jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

I understand what your saying about your pedal pumper When I did mine I used an evacuation system (suction). It got the fluid through the system in a hurry. Then I used a brake bleeder kit (NAPA) making it a one man job.

Good luck..... you'll get there.... part of the fun
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

rookie owner here...
    Can somone post the proper clutch bleeding proceedure for me, or post a link.
    I want to do all the fluids in the car...so far I have done the oil, thermostat and coolent next, then clutch brakes and rear.
    Any advice appreciated!!!
    Thanks
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Read the thread you just posted on and use the "search" function on clutch slave bleeding. That will keep you busy for a while

For the clutch I use a self-brake bleeding kit from NAPA. I flush the system out real good because this the line closest to the header. This year I replaced the slave as a precautionary measure ($50). Both my clutch line and slave are well wrapped with heat shield/reflective material. Have never had a problem due to regular maintenance/inspection.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Read the thread you just posted on and use the "search" function on clutch slave bleeding. That will keep you busy for a while

For the clutch I use a self-brake bleeding kit from NAPA. I flush the system out real good because this the line closest to the header. This year I replaced the slave as a precautionary measure ($50). Both my clutch line and slave are well wrapped with heat shield/reflective material. Have never had a problem due to regular maintenance/inspection.
    How do you think I found this thread...lol
    Where do you get this heat sheild wrap, a place like advance auto, or auto zone?
    I did notice that the line is only about 2 inches away from the header, it looks like they could have routed that line more away from the header!ooops, that is the front brake line! I wiull now go look for the clutch line
    Is this self bleeding brake kit like the mighty vac kit( which I already own).
    what is this self bleeder kit doing exactly?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

there is a picture of the popular self bleeding kit in the first post of this thread. i think it is called a motive bleeder and i got mine from pelicanparts.com but others sell them. the best thing for the brake lines is a sleeve from jegs or summit. then they also have adhesive sheets that you can cut up and wrap around the slave. jim o
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Here is a photo of the heat shield I made and the clutch slave and hydraulic lines wrapped. Maybe a bit primitive, but it works....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Dave,

I just get a peddle pumper and bleed and fill. The Wilwood M/Cs, as you can see, have a small reservoir so check them regularly or get a third person to keep filling them.

You could make it a party and have one person at each wheel, one at the clutch, one at the M/C and a peddle pumper.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

i have a hydralic t/o bearing it seemed like it took forever to bleed. i used a speed bleeder here too. helped alot. most people wind up rerouting the lines because of the proximity to the headers. lots of postings on that subject

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the good info
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    i have a hydralic t/o bearing it seemed like it took forever to bleed. i used a speed bleeder here too. helped alot. most people wind up rerouting the lines because of the proximity to the headers. lots of postings on that subject
    Scott,
    I have a McLeod HTOB and two bleeds its good and one more just because. Three pumps hold then I bleed.
    Is your bleeder on top of the piston or on the bottom?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Dave, Be carefull of what fluid you use especially if you have a hydralic t/o bearing. I think McLeod recomends Dot-3 only. some of the fancier stuff will eat the seals.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod, Your right. DOT 3 ONLY. I use the Wilwood 570. No problems.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by RJacobsen View Post
    Dave, Be carefull of what fluid you use especially if you have a hydralic t/o bearing. I think McLeod recomends Dot-3 only. some of the fancier stuff will eat the seals.
    Ok, here comes the stupid question, how do I know if I have a HTOB, to me it looks like it is a slave cyl with a bleeder on top.
    Dave

The slave is external and uses a clutch fork. A HTOB is internal (inside the bell housing) and slides over the input shaft of the transmission.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

The slave is external and uses a clutch fork. A HTOB is internal (inside the bell housing) and slides over the input shaft of the transmission.
    That's what I figured, I am looking at a cyl outside with a bleeder screw on the top, so this would mean I have a slave and therefore CANNOT have a hyd throwout bearing, is this correct?
    That being the case, can I use dot 4 or that valvoline syntec stuff, or is dot3 all I should use in this system/
    Would you know where I can buy all new caps for my brakes and clutch MC...I have girling MC's. They have this orange crust on the outside and on the inside and on the rubber boot, I have no idea what this stuff is, but it does not look to good!
    Dave

Can't help you with locating new caps. Maybe do a Google search. I use Valvoline syntec with my brakes and Wilwood high-temp with the clutch. Lines are wrapped and the fluid flushed and replaced every season.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Can't help you with locating new caps. Maybe do a Google search. I use Valvoline syntec with my brakes and Wilwood high-temp with the clutch. Lines are wrapped and the fluid flushed and replaced every season.
    Why the two different types, and is the wilwood dot3 or 4...also, where is the most economical place to get this stuff? expensive?
    Dave