Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Automotive Super FE

Buzz,
    Again, this is an option I considered for our car, but 2" is much farther than I would push it. For us, the linkages attaching the sway bar to the control arm are vertical, and moving the sway bar would have placed the everything too close into the suspension for my taste. I'd be OK taking 1/2" inch this way, not much more.

However, if you get a different sway bar (like RJacobson's circle track adjustable bar) you can close the distance between the sway bar and suspension dramatically and have all sorts of room for the fan.

For me, the most effective way to fit the fan was the radiator mount, plus it allowed me to clean up the front end. However, there is a bunch of ways to tackle this problem...

Here's another...Relocate the sway bar behind the suspension using the area on the frame where it kicks upward. You may have to flip the control arms, etc. I didn't look at this option too far, but you can do anything with enough time, money, patience, etc.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

I appreciate the input guys - I guess when something appears too easy or too good to be true, it is just that. It looks like between nudging the bottom of my radiator out about 1/2" and moving the sway bar mount back another 1/2" I will find just enough room for a 16" Spal. My sway bar does not attach to the bottom of the forward frame members like it does on most of your cars, rather it attaches to the front surface of a vertical angle bracket that is welded to two tabs inboard of those members. The "vertical" sway bar links on the control arm are not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the control arm now so moving the frame bracket back about 1/2" shouldn't be an issue. I can modify the front of the lower radiator bracket to give me 1/2 to 3/4" forward relocation with only a small amount of fiberglass trimming and the fan should fit nicely.
    The other thing I now need to add in the interest of cooling the big block is an oil cooler. That should be a fairly routine add on but are there any do's/dont's I should be aware of from your experiences?
    Tropical Buzz

Regarding the oil cooler......make absolutely certain you flush it out very thoroughly before hooking it up. There can be all kinds of undesirable debris inside a new cooler.

Phil Souza

Thanks Phil - will do.
    Tropical Buzz