Thread: seat harness

seat harness

does anyone have close-up photos of the inboard slots in the floor for a 5-point harness? also some views on attachment to driveshaft loop? do you guys use chrome bezel there or is it hidden?
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

The best I have......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 Seat and Harness fitting.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Safety hoop.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoulder harness.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	235
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I don't cut slots in the floor, just drill a hole and use a long bolt with a spacer between the floor and the saftey loop. The frame has a 2" angle welded for the outer belt, drill through the floor and bolt to the frame.

Alan

seat harness

you dont need bezels for the inside floor slots. the seats pretty much restrict the view. my seat belt mounting instructions warn against bolting the bracket flat to the floor. they need to be oriented in a horizontal position, basically in the direction of the pull . i used short pieces of 1 1/4"angle iron which i drilled and panted black. be careful to slightly offset the holes so the bolt heads will clear each other. on the inside mounting point i cut a slot in the floor starting at the rear corner (basically your lining the slot up with driveshaft hoop bracket) and going forward depending on the width on your belt. i fed the bracket through and located the angle iron bracket based on the position of the belt bracket. Clear as mud?

some states dont allow seatbelts to pass through the floor. i know its like that in connecticut, it probably true in other states too. check your requirements for your state before doing it or you may be in for a surprise when it comes to getting through inspection. later, brian.

yes, i better check with massachusetts rmv. we are loaded with funky laws here. i think they are trying to ban smoking outside now. alan's way sounds best to me. scott,i follow the reasoning about the angle but maybe they don't want slots through the floor for fear of shearing.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Alan's way sounds easier.
    I used the case hardened eye-bolts from the speed shop and a rod coupling to make up the space between the hoop and the bolt. then used a bolt through the drive shaft loop.
    Belts attach to the eye-bolts with grade 8 bolts washers and locknuts.

I didn't like the ideal of cutting a slot in the floor either.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

hi, i decided to mount inner belts on the lower vertical corner surface of the transmission tunnel. the holes line up exactly with two of the holes on the vertical part of the driveshaft loop so i will use double nuts and spacers accordingly. i notice that the Crow belts have holes for 7/16" bolts. do most use 7/16" bolts or just 3/8"? i have the loop out of car so i can open up those 2 holes to 7/16". i'll use grade 8 either way.
    Last edited by twanita; October 8th, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Harness Recommnedations

I have just searched Summit for the plethora of different harnesses. Could anyone recommend a simpson harness with part number? they start with SIM 290_ _ I am looking for the 4 point mounting style.

Steve