Thread: The Adventure Begins

The Adventure Begins

You are reading my very first posting to Unique Forums. Forgive me if a do not follow a certain protocol. I will try to learn quickly. I have recently ordered a Deluxe Pallet Kit and so it begins. I have somewhere between 3020 and 5055 questions to ask over the next few months. I hope you will assist me with your expertise whenever possible. I look forward to being part of your group and hope to earn your respect one wrench at a time. I had the pleasure of meeting some of you at last year's Homecoming. That visit alone, meeting the Weavers and you, the car owners, made my decision easier than I thought. I have one frame off restoration as a knowledge builder. Now if I may ask a few questions...
    What do I do first? What do I absolutley have to have on this car? SA 351 or 406? With a SA 406, why a top loader over a Tremec 5? I have waited years to own one, now I have to make it run. Thank you all in advance.

Talking

Ric...Welcome to the 'Unique' clan.
    You will really enjoy putting the kit on the road.
    I assume you are going to build it yourself and not sub it out to a fabricator.
    Sorry I can't enlighten you on your choice of manual transmissions.
    I'm six foot two and a half and found it a lot more comfortable operating
    one pedal in the tight foot box, so I run a four speed AOD box in my 427.
    I've had my 427 since 1991 and never regreted a moment of it, from the time
    I picked it up in Gasden to now.
    ( when I get it out of winter storage I'll be even happier.)
    Ask lots of questions, there's a lot of talent on this forum.
    Cheers....good building........Mike
    Mike Geddes

welcome

to the clan and good build to you. Some sharp folks here and will help. I will tag along and defur to the more knowledgeable. Like pictures a lot.See you at homecoming, yea, go slow, and ask about stuff, Will-alabama.

Thank you Mike

Thank you for the encouragement Mike. Yes, I will finish the buildout myself. I am told the Weavers will be giving such me a good package, even I can complete the project.

I might be able to help with one question.

I went with the 406 and waited for the new Tremec 5 speed. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have bought a 427 - not that I don't think the 406 is more than enough for me - Bill said it when I was buying but I do agree that "you buy the 427 for the braggin' rights". I am tired of answering the question - "does it have a 427?" with "no a 406" and the usual confusion about what a 406 is. Looks the same from the outside but heck - the $4,000 for the braggin rights (on the Top Oiler 427) would have been worth it. Heck, maybe even the $6,000 more for the side oiler if it is about braggin.

I have been very happy with my Tremec. Shifts easy - 5th (.83) comes in handy for the highway.

Dave

I can't help you with the motor desicion I went with a 460 and I am pleased with it.

But for me the tremec 5 spd was a must.
    And I agree with Dave the .82 o.d. is great on the highway.

Rodney

Ric, You will need to decide what gear you will be running in the rear (3.31, 3.54) then if you will be cruising on highways alot or alittle. The tremec has an O.D. .83 to 1, I would use a 3.54 rear otherwise your RPMs will be too low at cruise. A toploader would be my choice for racing and less highway driving. I run a top loader with 3.54 and like the combo.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

welcome

Ric,

I just took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago, so its nice to know that I'm not the newest rookie on the block anymore;-) If your experience is anything like mine, you'll have a smile plastered on your face. The car is just a blast to drive, and the Weavers have been so easy and available to work with while I've shaken out a few minor early birthing pings and pangs...

Enjoy...

Ross

Thanks Ross and everyone

Ross, I appreciate the encouraging words. I hope I can call on you in the very near future for "newbee" advise. Everyone has been very helpful in this forum.

You made a great choice buying a Unique. I took delivery of my car in mid Janurary and have had a lot of fun so far. I hope to have it on the road in time for home coming. As far as the motor goes, if you purchased a big block car it looks cool to have a big block in the car, and SA like Unique is known for great customer service, so I don't think you can go wrong with one of their motors.
    I have an FIA with a small block, I did not use SA because I have used my engine builder's products before. This said if you go with SA it is easier becuase Bill builds your motor with all of the accessories that you will need, so no hunting down strange brackets and starters that work. Just make sure you get the MSD ingition parts and a high end flywheel and clutch. Cost more now or a whole truckload later.

Justin

Ric,

Take a look at Bill's "Super FE". I have a 406 and am pleased with it, but the Super FE (also a 406) gives you as much punch as you'll most likely need. I'm running 3:31's and a top loader. IMHO, unless you are going to be doing some serious long-haul highway driving, the 4-speed works well.

BTW - Welcome!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Great feedback

Thank you all for the great feedback ideas. I intend to visit Bill's shop at SA. I have just enough info from you forum members to either make me dangerous or prepared. I will definitely buy an SA package and the 406 appears to be a concensus motor. I will also follow up on the Super FE option.