Thread: How critical is the way the title reads ?

How critical is the way the title reads ?

When Maurice and I ended up at the TX DOT on a Friday at 4pm to title my 427, they were kind enough get it all done for us in a hurry, and I didn't push back very hard on how the title would read.

Today I received the formal title in the mail, and the car's been recorded as (.. and dont laugh):

2006 ASVE (Make) RD with no model. In English this is Assembled vehicle Roadster.

They neither recorded it as a 65 Cobra or a 2006 Unique Motorcars Cobra.

So, should I really care ? Will it make a difference in the perceived value of the car in the future, or is this just the DOT being silly and no one will really ding me for it ?

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Ross

Ross, When I titled my car I was concerned about emissions testing that would be required for newer cars. I had mine titled as 1965 ASVE Roadster, in the comments section they put assembled in 2005. I personal don't think it makes any difference. The value of your car is in the quality of the kit you purchased and the level of detail you apply to it.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

i think it depends on the state , in Ca. my car is registered as a spcn 0000 thats special construction with no designation for model year

Ross,
    From my understanding this is correct in Texas. And from what I have been told it is the way the insurance card reads that is important. The inspector will look at the year on the insurance card and go by that. In Texas, you should be OK because the engine block you have is exempt from emmissions testing (more than 25 years old). I went with a 69 block instead of a new DART block just because of this.
    Keep us posted.

Justin

Maryland

Year; 1965 Make; Roadster Model; 2 seater
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Unhappy

In North Carolina mine is registered as a 2002 Special. Since this exempts it from emissions I don't have a problem with it. Hope it isn't a problem if I ever decide to sell it. Title got recalled a couple of times, but they never changed it. I don't know what's going on with these government people.
    h dog

it made a big difference in insurance cost in louisiana.
    originally i had the car insuraance quoted as 1965, but
    the title didn't allow that, was a 2004 asem. and the insurance went up from quote of ~ $275/yr to $800/yr.

so,if you can, get the 1965 description

doug

Smile

Guess I shouldn't badmouth New Jersey ever again.

Titled the car there originally, in 2003, as a Unique Motorcars 1965 Cobra. This entitled me to pay $34 for registration, one time, for life; gave me Historic Vehicle plates, and permanently exempted the car from inspection.

Now titled in Pennsylvania the same way, but it has to be registered each year and inspected. And they want heatshields over the sidepipes.

Oh, well. Gotta take the bad with the good.
    Yeehah

Unhappy Yes it does in some States

Shelby is now going after replica's titled with the word Cobra. I know this is true in Virginia. Tracy Arrington a Unique owner has had a round or two with the folks in Virginia. His had the word Cobra in the title, had to be removed or they would void his VA title and registration...Ole Shelby just keeps on stirring the pot.
    So other than that who cares what they call it.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick, Just curious, did it also have the word "replica" beside Cobra? I have a problem thinking Shelby is so powerful that he can control the Virginia DMV.
    Steve

Smile Titles..??

In Canada we do not have 'Titles'.....just registration papers
    Speciality cars get registered with an alpha numeric 12 digit listing.
    The first 3....RBT...mean 'Rebuilt'.
    You get to pick the last 3......I picked 427.
    The middle 6 digits contain the year the car was registed ( 2 digits ) and some other
    MTO codes.
    The registration also indicates the car is a 'Kit'....no emmissions testing required....Ever.
    Canadian cars are only inspected on change of ownership.
    Mike
    Mike Geddes