Thread: Alignment Issue

Alignment Issue

I have my car in the shop for some repairs and requested a four wheel alignment. The rear right camber setting is -2.09 degrees and the rear left camber setting is -1.75 degrees. Do any of you folks have a source for the shims and how to calculate how many shims would be required to correct the excess camber? Thanks!

Bob

Hear Is The Specification If You Do Not Have Them.
    Mike

i got my shims from unique,i'm sure alan could find a couple for you. when i didm ine alan sent me three said i would only two or three. have not had it back to the shop to final check yet!

Shims can be purchased from any Jag parts house. They are a couple bucks each.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Thanks for the info ... I'll call around town tomorrow.

Bob

Did you lower the car Bob? If you alignment shop doesn't know, find another! Any Jag dealer or shop such as Terry's Jaguar Parts (you can find them on the web) will have them. Have someone who works on Jag rears do the alignment. If they are not proficient with them then it will take them way to long.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Bob,
    Back when we were setting up our rear end, I did some calculation on shims to determine camber setup. By my numbers I estimated that 6 shims at 0.020" each should change camber by a full degree. Please keep in mind that we have not had the car on an alignment rack to validate those numbers, but they should be in the ball park.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Alignment Issue

Rick,

I didn't change the height of the rear suspension ... I was previously aware that the rear camber was out of spec. I had an alignment done right after I bought my car in October of 2004 and the rear camber settings was similar to what I had just posted. That shop also didn't have the required shims and I let it slide. Since I was recently having a laundry list of things to correct, I wanted to take care of the camber issue. After unsuccessfully trying several local sources, I called the Weavers and they are graciously mailing a set to me.

Brian,

Thanks for the formula. I'll share it with my repair guy who has agreed to install the shims at no charge!

I appreciate all of your assistance.

Bob

Bob, did you complete your steering rack modifications we discussed some time back?
    Steve

Steve,

Yes I did; I had a shopping list of upgrades and fixes and they're all done. All I need is some warm, dry weather to do some road testing. As a matter of fact, I'm driving down to Reno in May to attend the Western States Cobra Bash. I'll let you know how well I hold up to an eight-hundred mile drive.

Bob

Glad you got it sorted out Bob, I too am delighted with my modifications.
    Steve

Alignment Issue

I stumbled across a Cobra alignment webpage

http://www.donostia.demon.nl/index_files/alignment.htm

According to the author, each shim changes camber 1/4 degree.
    I'll let you know if that holds up in my case.

Bob

Alignment specs we have had a bunch of on-line discussions you may want to also search the site. Just a suggestion

Ralph

Good idea, Ralph. I'll do a search

Bob