Thread: First time out of 2006

First time out in 2006

Today was a beautiful day here in Louisville and one that was designed to be cruised on. February 27, 2006. 27 degrees.

I did take my beauty out today, cooooooold!!!! But man what a ride. Just could not resist to take it out.

This is the first time I have taken the car out since our Fall Cruise last October 2005 and some bugs still need to be worked out. Rick and I will be getting the ride height adjusted as well as an alignment and I will be ready for Homecoming.

I have already traced the route to Gadsden from Louisville. Yes, you heard right, I will actually drive it to Homecoming.
    Last edited by juanone; May 21st, 2006 at 06:02 PM.

OK Juan!! Have a good trip to Gadsden. We need more drivers.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

First order of business!

Yep, a water proof car cover will be in the works this week. Actually my wife is really looking forward to the ride down to Gadsden. She had a great time meeting the other owners and wives. We just need to make sure we check the weather days before the actual cruise down. Since we will be taken the backroads I feel much better in the event of an unforseen weather hiccup there may be areas to stay out of bad weather.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Cold ride Juan ! It was just beauiful here on the gulf coast today as well, though the temperature was slightly warmer... probably in the sixties.

I saw a Cobra headed up route 49 just 15 miles north of Gulfport. I was going the other direction, so I could not tell what kit it was, but it sure did look nice... medium blue with white stripes. (I thought of Gary Darcy, but if my memory serves me correctly, his is black with titanium white stripes.)

Anyone we know? C'mon, fess up... any other Uniques down here?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Juan

We will be watching for you,can,t wait to see your build.Know you and Rick did a beautiful job.Has rained here all of February, sun is out today for the first time in a while, we are drenched, rivers running high.Haven,t been in cobra in so long almost forgot where to start.Watch out for admirers coming up on rear to look, side by yours to look and sideswipe you, has happened, they don,t mean to, just want to see beautiful car.Of course--ricers will challenge you as well as a bunch of new stuff being built by factory folks now days.But, lot of folks will wave at you like crazy, thumbs up--make you feel good.Homecoming--good driving, we will be watching for you. Will-alabama

Paul, the car you passed might belong to Bill Brame of Madison Ms, he picked up his turnkey at Homecoming last year. We also have a customer in Jackson with a blue and white car.

Alan

Wasn't me. Although I was all over the place today, as it was a balmy 79 here, I wasn't that far south. Weather here has been pretty good all winter. There has been a stretch of 3 weeks without gettin' the grin, but the urge always wins and I have braved the cold down to 40 degrees. I'm in Jackson, Tn., northeast of Memphis.
    Last edited by Cobaby; March 1st, 2006 at 08:29 PM.

Smile

juan, your car looks flawless. a real sleeper with that refined look.
    p.s. i think we have to blacken the avid st logo on the inside of the tires. jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Blacken inside of tires

Jim:

You are absolutely right. I wish I knew what I can use that will not wash away or peel off from the rubber. Black spray paint? What kind?

Jim how about posting some photos of your car?

Juan

Juan,
    To get the result that you're after you may want to consider taking away from the tire rather than painting over the white. The raised letters on most tires are a thin rubberized layer that will come off with careful abrasive work. If you have seen cars that run up agaist the curb or trucks off-roading, they tend to scrape off the white lettering.

I have the Goodyear Eagle II's and plan to take off the "Eagle II" to make the tire look more like the billboard racing tires. On the old Dunlops that came with the Spence car I ran a test section on one of the letters and took the white off easily using an air grinder and a flat abrasive pad. Tire black will restore the finish of the existing rubber. It's a mess, but permanent.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Juan, you would be better off cleaning the tires and paint them using a semi gloss paint, most people leave them as they are. If you grind the letters off you will have to rebalance them.

Alan

Very true about the rebalancing. Given the balance sensitivities of the car if you have something you are happy with it would seem as if it would be best to keep it. Given our position in the build this route makes the most sense for me, but perhaps not for you.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Painting the tires

Alan thank you for the tip, I will have to try the painting method.

Talking

Juan,
    Nice Looking Ride! I'm partial towards Red!

The wire wheels are real sharp!!!
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

Thanks

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the compliment. Most of the compliment should really go to Rick Bagley. He held my hand through the process of building and installing the drivetrain. Here is a couple of shots of the engine compartment. It is like a fine piece of jewelry, that is the way I always describe it because that is the way Rick treated it and built it, as if it was. I merely stood by in awe of what was going on. I just wish I had the skill, but I don't.
    Last edited by juanone; May 21st, 2006 at 06:02 PM.

For the white letters on the inside of the tires, try using black shoe (leather) dye....works like a champ!

Phil Souza

Shoe Dye

Phil that sounds like a great idea, I have to try it. Thanks for the tip.