Thread: A few steps forward and one back.

A few steps forward and one back.

Due to working out of town the last few weeks I have not made as much progress as I would have liked on the build, however I am having fun and that is what counts.
    So far, I have gotten the wiring harness run through the car and the dash is wired minus the MSD. I am waiting for a friend to bring over one of the new MSD digital boxes to see if it fits. If so, I will use one of these. The new digital 6+ has a built in rev controle, timing retard, start retard and 2-step. It is however just a tad bigger.
    Finding an alternator bracket wasn't easy, and of course it had to be modified to clear the frame, but we got this mounted and put the pullies on today. We also got the bracket for the fuel pump and filter done today and I will mount this next weekend.
    Nolastyankee (Brian) really helped me out by sending the deminsions as well as many pictures of his Harrison tank bracket. I am really glad he and his dad put so much time and effort into bulding the bracket and were kind enough to let me copy what they did.
    Now for my step back, but not too bad of one. I went to the speed shp to buy some rubber hose and fittings for the existing hard line going to the fuel tank. Well, this wasn't what I left with, as it turns out my fuel pump and regulator have to have a return line to work properly. So, to make a long story short I left there with 20ft of #6 and #8 as well as a whole bunch of AN fittings in addition to the header bolts, header gaskets, fuel pressure guage, a couple of valve cover breathers, and several C-Notes missing out of my wallett. The fuel tank came back out of the car and now has a return line, hopefully I can finish the fuel system when I get back in town next week. I really didn't plan on spending that much money on this part of the build but at least I know the fuel system is done right.
    I have posted some more pictures and will give another update at the end of next weekend.

Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt bracket.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back of bracket.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disc brake.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	276  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01813.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrison bracket.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	htank bracket.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	279  

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Lookin' good Justin!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Justin,
    Looks great! We bent up a hard return line that mimics the feed line on the drivers side. Let me know if you want some shots of that too.

How did you plumb back into the tank for the return? We plan to drill and tap one of the top angle brackets where the tank mounts. Otherwise there's not a lot of thickness left to work with in on the sides and top of the tank.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Brian,
    The return line comes into the trunk and I tapped a hole in the top of the tank next to the sending unit. Russell makes a fitting that is made just for this purpose. I am running the #8 fuel line on the driver's side frame rail and the return line of #6 down the passanger side. I actually liked where the factory line is located, but my regulator mounts to the back of the intake so I had to bring the lines up through the tunnel.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin Upchurch; February 27th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.

Justin,
    We'll have to look for that Russell fitting. Any idea what the number is?
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Brian,
    I will be back in town on Friday, and can get the part number for you. The fitting is really easy to use. Just drill a hole in the tank big enough for the center of the fitting, hold the female end against the inside of the tank with your fringer (don't drop it) and screw in the male side of the fitting. The center has its' own gasket, but with it on the top of the tank I don't think leaking will be an issue. Run a vaccume while you are drilling and you will be fine.

Justin

Brian,
    The Russell part I used is called a -6 Fuel Cell Bulkhead, the part number is 670850.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Upchurch
    Due to working out of town the last few weeks I have not made as much progress as I would have liked on the build, however I am having fun and that is what counts.
    So far, I have gotten the wiring harness run through the car and the dash is wired minus the MSD. I am waiting for a friend to bring over one of the new MSD digital boxes to see if it fits. If so, I will use one of these. The new digital 6+ has a built in rev controle, timing retard, start retard and 2-step. It is however just a tad bigger.
    Finding an alternator bracket wasn't easy, and of course it had to be modified to clear the frame, but we got this mounted and put the pullies on today. We also got the bracket for the fuel pump and filter done today and I will mount this next weekend.
    Nolastyankee (Brian) really helped me out by sending the deminsions as well as many pictures of his Harrison tank bracket. I am really glad he and his dad put so much time and effort into bulding the bracket and were kind enough to let me copy what they did.
    Now for my step back, but not too bad of one. I went to the speed shp to buy some rubber hose and fittings for the existing hard line going to the fuel tank. Well, this wasn't what I left with, as it turns out my fuel pump and regulator have to have a return line to work properly. So, to make a long story short I left there with 20ft of #6 and #8 as well as a whole bunch of AN fittings in addition to the header bolts, header gaskets, fuel pressure guage, a couple of valve cover breathers, and several C-Notes missing out of my wallett. The fuel tank came back out of the car and now has a return line, hopefully I can finish the fuel system when I get back in town next week. I really didn't plan on spending that much money on this part of the build but at least I know the fuel system is done right.
    I have posted some more pictures and will give another update at the end of next weekend.

Justin
    None of us do.

Looking good Justin!
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear