Thread: Who has done the MGB to new Unique coilover swap??

Who has done the MGB to new Unique coilover swap??

I finally ordered the Unique front suspension setup in early Feb. for my 289 with the MGB front suspension. Has anyone else here done this swap? What all is involved other than unbolting the MGB and bolting in the new setup? Does the body have to be modified to retrofit the upper shock mounts? Any unexpected pitfalls? Impressions?

Closeup pics of cars with the Unique setup, especially during install, would be most welcome!

Thanks, guys!

Robert
    Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Highly Recommended...

Copied from an older thread:
    I switched to the newer Unique coil-over suspension in my car and it remains one of the best purchases I have made for my Cobra. The difference in ride, handling, steering and braking is literally night and day. The new setup is also lighter than the old MGB arrangement and that can't hurt any.
    The actual swap itself is a piece of cake. Disconnect your brake lines, steering shaft and sway bar. With a floor jack under the suspension crossmember, remove the four socket head bolts holding the crossmember to the frame and drop the whole thing out. Balance the new assembly (complete, including hubs, brakes, shocks and steering rack) carefully on the a floor jack, wheel it in and jack it up into position. Bolt it into the same four mounting holes and re-attach everything. The shock towers which are included need to be welded in place - locating them properly is a snap with the suspension in place. Double check your four mounting bolts. You may need to do an eyeball alignment adjustment at the tie rod ends, make sure all grease points are lubed and then bleed your brakes (the toughest part of the whole job). Did I remind you to check and recheck your four mounting bolts? (obviously there's a story here).
    I did the whole thing by myself minus the welding and bleeding in less than 2 hours. Adjust your shock settings to the desired ride height. Drive to the shop for a proper alignment and you're set to enjoy. Double check those mounting bolts.
    Last edited by Buzz; March 5th, 2006 at 06:45 AM.
    Tropical Buzz

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Copied from an older thread:
    . The shock towers which are included need to be welded in place - locating them properly is a snap with the suspension in place.
    So how did you actually weld the towers. Trailer the car to a welder or hire someone to visit on site?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaFives
    So how did you actually weld the towers. Trailer the car to a welder or hire someone to visit on site?
    I'll answer this, as I just finished up the swap tonight. You can't trailer the car somewhere (at least not easily) as there is nothing to hold the car up in front. So really you have to either hire a welder to come to you or, as in my case, buy your welder friend lunch to come over and weld it.
    Robert

Alan,
    When did Unique switch from MGB front suspention to coilover?
    Walter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe LaFives

Unique 289_FIA:
    I'll answer this, as I just finished up the swap tonight. You can't trailer the car somewhere (at least not easily) as there is nothing to hold the car up in front. So really you have to either hire a welder to come to you or, as in my case, buy your welder friend lunch to come over and weld it.

What Unique 289_FIA said.
    Post your driving impressions with the new setup - I'm curious to see if you find as dramatic a difference as I did.
    Last edited by Buzz; April 15th, 2006 at 05:04 AM.
    Tropical Buzz

I think we switched around 92 or 93.

Alan

My car #9152 has the newer front end, it was manufactured on 10-92.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Okay - were the instructions with the kit easy to follow? How about instructions for the weld?

Joe, if you're referring to the instructions for the front suspension swap - none are necessary - it really is a straightforward bolt-in job. Take the old one out, put the new one in. As for the welding, it is a quick, easy task for any experienced welder.
    Tropical Buzz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe LaFives

Unique 289_FIA:

What Unique 289_FIA said.
    Post your driving impressions with the new setup - I'm curious to see if you find as dramatic a difference as I did.

I'll post my impressions later this week, as I am currently very displeased with what the alignment shop did and am getting a new alignment Wednesday at a shop that specializes in modified cars and hot rods.
    Robert

Joe, if you're referring to the instructions for the front suspension swap - none are necessary - it really is a straightforward bolt-in job. Take the old one out, put the new one in. As for the welding, it is a quick, easy task for any experienced welder.
    Ditto what he said.
    Robert

Thanks. My 289 was bought originally in 93 and has the old front end so I think it must have been an optional thing for a couple of years. I'm not all that unhappy with the MGB front end, but perhaps I need to drive one with the new front end to see the difference.

I was reviewing some of my old documentation. A November 1992 article excerpt mentions that Unique had used the MGB front end continuously since 1977 and that it was correct forthe narrow tract and short wheel base. But that it's only drawback was a lack of adjustment. They then introduce the new custom front end. My 1997 info shows the custom front end as a 1300 option.
    Last edited by Joe LaFives; May 1st, 2006 at 10:54 PM.