Thread: Dyno'd SA 354 stroker (and air cleaner info)

Talking Dyno'd SA 354 stroker (and air cleaner info)

Dyno'd the Cobra today and did a back to back comparison of w/ and w/out air filter. My air cleaner setup is a 14x3 K&N with drop base and hi-flow K&N top (can see pic in gallery).

Engine is a Southern Automotive (since modified) 354 stroker, run on a dynojet.

Results:

w/ air cleaner: 348.24 rwhp, 341.97 rwtq
    w/o air cleaner: 352.45 rwhp, 347.05 rwtq

Not too bad. The K&N drop-base setup only costs ~4hp. Need to get an ignition box as the graphs looked to indicate the spark couldn't quite keep up at the upper rpm range.

/wondering if I can get near the 400 rwhp barrier if I fab up some dump tubes to run through
    Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Thumbs up

Nice! That IS impressive; all the reason anyone should need to keep the filter in place. Wonder what the K&N filtertop adds to the picture. To say nothing of 350+ rwhp.

BTW, what is your distributor? and what kind of advance did you have in it at the time of the runs?
    Yeehah

Thanks! It's an MSD Pro Billet "Ready to Run" distributor. I swapped out the Mallory that SA typically supplies for more adjustability. Set at 34* total, 16* initial, all in by 2800 rpm. It's designed to run with or without a box, but the dyno graph was a bit jagged at top end, so I'll probably add a 6AL (just have a Soft Touch Rev Limiter now) to make sure the spark can keep up.
    Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

i seem to remember some posts last year where someone using a k&n filter top experienced fuel actually being sucked out of the carb due to turbulence through the scoop