Thread: Angle of Brake Balance Bar??

Angle of Brake Balance Bar??

While adjusting my brake bias this afternoon (for more front brakes), I noticed that the angle of the brake balance bar changed dramatically after pushing the pedal a few times. Is this normal, or is the brake bar in a bind, such as I have read about on previous threads?

If it is in a bind, is this something that I can adjust with the rods that connect to the master cylinders?

I've attached this photo for reference. Note the sharp downward angle of the bar on the left side.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

H-m-m-m.... never paid much attention to the angle, although I don't think it makes any noticeable difference. I got tired of squeezing into the footbox to make adjustments and sprung for the the Wilwood remote brake bias adjustment kit - now I adjust the brake bias with a knob mounted under the dash. Much more convenient and painless
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

The angle seems "normal" because the holes though which the bar runs is larger than the diameter of the bar. You can reach down there with your hand and feel how the bar will move up or down on either side of the pedal. I've spent quite a bit of time adjusting mine and that's how mine is. If anyone says differenty, please let me know, as there is something wrong with mine. Thanks, Walter

I agree with Walter's comments; I just adjusted the bias on my car and it looked just like Russ's picture.

Bob

yea

mine looks same way-will-alabama but, do need to checkem now and then.

Its normal for the bias rod to angle up or down, if you install a remote cable it will straighten out.

Alan

OK Alan.....what's a remote cable??

Phil Souza

You can buy a remote bias adjuster cable from Wilwood, it attaches to the bias bolt and has a knob that mounts to or under the dash, you can change brake bias while driving down the road. It also saves your back, right Phil?

Alan

Yep... saves the back, shoulders, forehead, ears, elbows, etc.

Phil S. - the Wilwood part # is 340-4990 http://wilwood.com/Products/005-Peda...RBBA/index.asp One of my smarter investments. I expect to see one installed in that fine machine of yours when we meet up in Reno for the WSCB
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

My car came equiped with an inline bias adjuster. Since I haven't been able to use it I'm wondering if anyone else has this setup?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

I'm with Phil.
    I put a remote bias adjuster on mine from Wilwood and it is great.
    Even if you never change it adjustment it is worth it just so you don't have to stop the car get out stuff yourself in the footbox, adjust, unwedge yourself and get back in the car and strap yourelf back in take off, .etc, etc.
    You can adjust from stop light to stop light and never miss a beat.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Looks like a great idea....I'll check it out. Phil Souza

Thanks for the replies fellas. I always appreciate the good info I get here!

I was a little concerned to test drive the car if that bias bar was in a bind, but the weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend here in KC, so I should get a chance to see if she stops any better.

Hopefully, my new low-pressure brake light switch will arrive soon, so that I can have working brake lights (the bias adjustment didn't solve that issue). The Wilwood remote adjuster is on the to-do list for this year as well, because you guys are correct, crawling down in that little foot well is down right uncomfortable.

The last thing I want to do is lower my brake pedal a bit. If you'll notice in the picture, it is quite a bit higher than my gas pedal (which is adjusted as high as the linkage will allow), and the difference makes heel & toe downshifting impossible.

I assume I just adjust the prop rods on the back of the brake pedal to lower it a bit???
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue