Thread: Pinging Brian Carlson..

Pinging Brian Carlson..

Brian:

Really been enjoying your FIA build documentation.

Reading through the threads, I took particular interest in a photo of a car you posted a photo of. Did you get any contact details (email) of the owner? I'm particularly interested in the exhaust he/she put on the car.

Thanks!

- Al.

Al,
    Sorry, I never knew the names of the owners. The pictures of this car came from Club Cobra and I downloaded them because they were simply stunning, and very high res. I do know the car is an aluminum bodied CSX continuation car and the pics were shot at an all-Shelby display at a show in California some time around the Historics or Pebble. The shape on the aluminum body makes me think it is a Kirkham era CSX 7000. (Not sure if they still make aluminum bodies for Shelby) The exhaust is similar to original FIA race cars and from what I understand, available from Shelby. I know that CSX FIA headers are available, and the exits wouldn't be hard to bend from there. There has been a set of CSX FIA headers on eBay for a while, but I really don't know if it would work with a Unique chassis. At a minimum, you should know that the original FIA race exhausts (like the one on this car) turned straight down after the headers and travelled on the outside of the frame until they diagonaled under the floor over to the exit. There is even less ground clearance than the normal sidepipes and I would be a bit concerned about all the heat under the body on a glass floored car like the Uniques. Shelbys (and KMP's) have aluminum floors and either way this is likely to be really hot for cockpit occupants!

One of the neatest things about this car is (look really close) is the very early Cobra badging on the nose. This is the "SHELBY COBRA" badge with an AC logo in the center. Very rare, and only on the early cars. Not sure if it's a repro badge, and if it is, I have never seen them available. I'm toying with the idea of making up a few for our car and maybe creating a few extra for friends....

Beautiful, huh?
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Brian:

Thanks so much for the detailed response. You're right, this is a stunning car. I think your color combination will be also and I can't wait to see it! Will you be going with the white pipes and wheel centers?

Thanks again, and looking forward to the next build update.

- Al.

Al,
    Our pipes are already black and the wheel centers are aged aluminum color. In my mind I'd like to change to white wheel centers, but that's a project for later on down the line. Right now we're concentrating on getting the car done!
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Stunning is a perfect description for this baby. I love this look!

Brian, do you have the link to the other photos of this car? Also, when you say that the pipes ran down the outside of the frame, isn't that pretty much on the outside edge of the floor, or am I missing something... different frames, possibly? It looks like these pipes come more from the center of the car. I am intrigued by this approach, as well.

Thanks
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Al and Paul,
    Regarding the pipes, I'm not quite following your comment regarding the frame and the edge of the floor. On both the Unique and the original car, the floor sits on top of the main frame rail. By running the exhaust down the frame, it is fully under the floor, but inboard of the edge of the car. The sidepipes actually provide more road clearance than running a 4" pipe under the car.

Attached is a real CSX car that I had the good fortune to visit many times in Wisconsin. I have a huge folder of pics, and this one gives a pretty good view of the headers and exhaust coming from under the car. On the FIA in this post, the exits run more diagonally than this car, but the design is virtually identical. When you see this car in person, it is really low. Before I bought the Canton pan, I had 2.5" to the road. This car is right there too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise11.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise1.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	343  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise7.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	344  
    Brian Carlson

Paul,
    One more note, sorry I don't have a link to the pictures of the FIA on CC. If I remember correctly, there was only this one.
    Brian Carlson