Thread: Rear Alignment Update

Rear Alignment Update

I finally had the rear camber set on my car yesterday; one side had about two degrees negative camber and the other one and three quarter degrees negative. I originally ordered some shims from the Weavers and after I received them, decided to get a few more just to be on the safe side.

I watched the technician install the shims and was surprised to see that he ended up inserting thirteen shims, seven on one side and six on the other. As it turned out, there was one shim in place on one side, none on the other.

I had researched Jaguar rear camber adjustment and everything I found stated that camber would be changed by 1/4 of a degree per shim. The technician handed me the print out showing the final camber as -.50* on the left rear and -.076* on the right rear ... Go figure!!

BTW, I found an on line Jaguar parts dealer,Welsh Enterprises Inc, at www.welshent.com if you ever need any Jaguar parts. They even mailed me an interactive cd catalog.

Bob

Exclamation

Bob,

The only problem , if he added them and pulled down on the car and then checked the camber it won't be correct..

Once you drive it and the shocks and springs settle your camber probably wont be close.

You cannot do these cars in a static setting, if you didnt get out and drive it after the shims were added and then check it before the car is jacked up again it won't be correct.

Front or rear, once you jack the car up and put it on the ground the camber changes until you put some miles on it and it settles back in place.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick,

Thanks for your comments. I've driven it about twenty miles since the shims were inserted. I'll go back and have them check the camber. Appreciate your expertise.

Bob

When you go back for the camber check make sure they check it before they jack the car up, front and back.
    Rick

new shims

I was unhappy with my shims sandwiched between the drive shaft and rotor so I had these made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new shims1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new shims2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old shims.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear shims.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	428  

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

The shims to set the camber are available from Jag or most suppliers of Jag parts. They come in various thickness. What you show in the one picture are front end shims. Some use those instead of what is correct.

Rick,

Thanks for the advice; I'll make sure they don't jack up the car.

Bob

Wink

Scott,

You need to drive that car and knock the rust of the rear brake rotors!!

Where are the valve cover pictures, (installed)?
    Rick

Very busy

Rick,

I am finishing the valve covers tonight and will take pics. I have been traveling for business and not alot of time for the car these days. See you at homecoming, I might be bringing Show Dog with me.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54