Thread: How did we ever survive??????

How did we ever survive??????

How DID we survive?????

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
    rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolaide made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because . .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
    the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
    the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

I can relate to that story, those were the good o days.

Alan

Smile Growing Up

Boy does all that hit home, they really were the good ole day's.

Pick up coke bottles at the AVCO plant in Vultee area (Nashville, TN) turn them in for the deposit at the corner market (3 cents ea.) put 50 cents worth of leaded high test in the 8 HP Cushman Eagle, 1958 model and I was good to go.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Brent

Brent,as I Sit Here At Work Reading What You've Posted I Must Be Honest With You And Say That I Cried Because It Sounded Like What My Dad Used To Tell Us.

I just made it under the wire.
    Who or what in the he!! made everyone so paranoid?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Brent, this really hits home with my wife and I, we talk about our daughters and the lack of imagination from not doing some of the things in your post. We can be at a great place for vacation and they can find nothing to do. I am now a social coordinator.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

AAAhhh

Ye hit a nerve Brent, good ole days, need to reflect on to see where we are now, hopefully wiser, better off, --fewer problems, mistakes, better sense of humor, lighter on ourselves-families,, better relationship with God. Just a few I can think of.We need a laugh about now, perhaps the Professor might spin one.I appreciate you all, now there is one improvement in my walking around days. See you at homecoming, and I,ll just keep the hood closed. Will-alabama

Hey Brent - great post!

You may recall a couple of years ago a number of us posted our life experiences growing up, and how we survived the odds (barely maybe... but we made it). This post hits the nail squarely on the head!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I recieved this from a friend last week and really liked it.

The only thing that made us come inside was when it was so dark you could not see the ball to catch it.

I guess I am a little paranoid about my girls though. The thought of them wandering out and not knowing where they are scares the hell out of me.

I think there is a Charles Manson on every street corner. We live in a nice neighborhood and I still watch them walk all the way to their friends house before I go back in the house.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Brent

that comes with being a dad. Today, if I were a young man, I might not get married, and not have children at all. Reckon that is selfish.My youngest is 24-engineer, Zach is married, but my day is not finished until I know where all the family is, I know where uour coming from .Will-alabama